Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows,...looking for a 1oz load at 1200 fps,..I've got Red Dot\700X\Promo

.....any suggestions on your favourite loads with 1oz -1200fps

Thanks in advance

Cesare

·
Trump2020
742 Posts
Let us know what you end up using. I have a couple thousand papers, Fed 209A's, and 12SO clones, but I haven't decided what powder yet. I think Red Dot is the classic go to powder for Papers.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SpeedyWho

I came across 1200-1300 Fed papers lately, I hadn't loaded any in about 25 years. I'll probably end up using the 12S3 clone because of the case capacity from my memory was less than the plastic Gold Medals,..so I'll be testing with the 12S3 clone with 1 oz of #8 chilled shot and 18 grains of Red Dot, these will be tested through my Chrono and I'm curious to see ( I wish they made the 12C1 wad, they were awesome ).
I remember having loose primer pockets back in the day and some bleed-back so I may go with a bigger primer (Fiocchi), may have to up the powder charge a 1\2 grain, I'm wanting anywhere between 1145-1200 fps
I'll post some results in a few weeks,...will also try 700X\Promo with the same combination. I think I can get 2-3 reloads from each hull before they pin-hole through the case, not sure why people pay good money for once fired papers,...these were free,...so I'll use them of course :)

Cesare

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Load data is using 12S0, but I've found the 12S3 gave me a better stack and crimp, but will definitely try the 12S0 wads as well.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Load data is using 12S0, but I've found the 12S3 gave me a better stack and crimp, but will definitely try the 12S0 wads as well.
Then I would go with the 12S3. Proper stack height is more important than being a slave to the loading data.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Been busy lately, but finally got a chance to chronograph a little.

Once fired Federal Paper (freebies)
Fiocchi Primers (wider primer to get less powder leaks and inexpensive)
18.5 grains Promo (got this cheap)
Claybuster 12S3 Clone (better stack height with these wads, 12SO were too high-bulge)
Chilled 1 oz shot (16yrd or skeet)
Chrono through a Beretta ASE - Skeet choke

Average velocity 1153 fps (low recoil, shoots great)

Will do more testing with other powders when I can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts