Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

Anyone know if the cheaper steel base Federal Top Gun hull with paper basewad can be loaded the same as Federal Gold Medal?

The load I would like to use is 36.0 gr Longshot / WAA12 wad / 1-1/8 nickel plated lead shot #6 / Federal 209A. This load is supposed to go in a Gold Medal Hull wich I only have a few so I am wondering if it can safely be loaded in a top gun hull? All the best.

J.F.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
If in doubt, call the powder manufacturer. Most moderate loads would work OK, but when yiou get into the heavy Longshot loads, I would want the sanction of the powder manufacturer. If it were me, I'd use the Gold Medals and look for more. I've loaded thousands of the Top Gun/Estate/Wally World specials using data that was once published for these specific hulls. Two popular powder manufacturers have stated that it would be OK to use data for the Gold Medals, but in each occasion, a specific load was mentioned. It's worth a phone call just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
You are at maximum pressure with that load. Maybe try some with 34.6 grains first and see how they shoot? That will drop your load down to 10,700 psi., 1530 fps. Federal has reloading data for these hull, but only list ATK components.

Wayne

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
Actually the top gun hulls will produce a little less peak pressure than Gold Medals due to the cushioning effect of the base wad. The internal volume is the same.

Where you need to be careful is going the other way, ie: a high pressure Top Gun load may not be acceptable in a Gold Medal.

HM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.