Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was given several garbage bags of these hulls, once fired.

Do I use loading info for Federal Gold Metal Hulls?

Thanks, DD

·
Supporting Vendor
5,728 Posts
You can use Fiocchi plastic hull data. The Fiocchi plastic hull is very close to the Federal Top Gun hull. Both are Reifenhauser hulls with either a plastic or a paper base wad.

Reactions: DD89521

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
How old are these hulls? Only thing I see now is the shiny steel bases about half that size. The Grands have a high "brass colored" steel base.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
The link above to the Federal reloading guide has data for: "(Top Gun®, Field and Target Loads; Federal Premium® Wing•Shok®, and Federal® Game•Shok® Shells with Paper Basewad

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Hey Nebster, that's the first time I've seen Top Guns specified in any data...
I loaded some last year and always used Gold Metal hull data. I just never seen it in the fine print anywhere.

I actually had to look three times before I found it this time. I knew it had to be there or you wouldn't have said it twice... :216:

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Hey Nebster, that's the first time I've seen Top Guns specified in any data...
I loaded some last year and always used Gold Metal hull data. I just never seen it in the fine print anywhere.

I actually had to look three times before I found it this time. I knew it had to be there or you wouldn't have said it twice... :216:
The official Federal data is often overlooked. I was surprised when my link to it above was pretty much ignored.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I looked at it last night too. Didn't catch it then neither.
I just assumed Gold Metals and Top Guns were lumped together...

I see there is no data for 1oz for the 'Hunting Type plastic cases'. That's Gay !

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
I looked at it last night too. Didn't catch it then neither.
I just assumed Gold Metals and Top Guns were lumped together...

I see there is no data for 1oz for the 'Hunting Type plastic cases'. That's Gay !
Dude, you just take the 9/8 oz. data, sub in a 1 oz. wad and drop the shot charge to 1 oz. If you want to slow it down, just reduce the powder charge. You will never get into trouble reducing either powder, shot or both.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Neb'erooski, compare the 3 Dram 9/8 loads using Green Dot in Gold Metals & Top Guns in that Federal page.
Other powders are pretty similar but Green Dot either acts differently in the two hulls or there is a typo in there somewhere...

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Neb'erooski, compare the 3 Dram 9/8 loads using Green Dot in Gold Metals & Top Guns in that Federal page.
Other powders are pretty similar but Green Dot either acts differently in the two hulls or there is a typo in there somewhere...
I agree it looks odd but I've seen worse with other data, particularly Alliant data for Red Dot. You gotta think a publication like a reloading data guide goes through more than one quality control proofread.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well finally got around to loading some of these up; Green Dot 20.1 gr, F209A primer, CB2118/12S3 wad with 1 1/8oz 7.5 shot. Have yet to run them over a chrony. Hit 24 out of 25.

·
Registered
233 Posts
. Appears to have paper base wad. Will cut one apart and post pic.
I can tell by the photo those are paper base hulls. The new Top gun have higher brass, different lettering, darker red color.
Use Federal Gold medal data. Paper base hulls generate less PSI than plastic base hulls.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts