Trapshooters Forum banner

Federal Hull Problem

2129 13
Started loading Federal Top Gun and Clay & Field hulls. I am using a Mac 650, Fiocchi 616 primers, ClayDot powder, CB6100-12 wads. The problem is numerous FTF due to light strikes, not only in my gun. The powder drop tube is adjusted to Mec's spec. Seems like the primers are a little too deep (dished).
Any thoughts?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
949 Posts
Are they the new production smooth sided hulls? I had trouble with those pretty new maroon hulls ; they seemed to have the original crimp lower on the case and as such don't crimp right without adjusting. You didn't mention which guns you used. Fio 616 and the old top guns are a regular for me

· Registered
5,681 Posts
Started loading Federal Top Gun and Clay & Field hulls. I am using a Mac 650, Fiocchi 616 primers, ClayDot powder, CB6100-12 wads. The problem is numerous FTF due to light strikes, not only in my gun. The powder drop tube is adjusted to Mec's spec. Seems like the primers are a little too deep (dished).
Any thoughts?
You do realize you are loading both types of hulls there (Clay and Field is a Remington line if shells), a SW hull and a tapered hull with the same wad. I understand your issue is the primer, and typically the Rem hulls will be difficult to push other primers in that don't have the same top radius as a Remington primer, or so I have heard. But that is not your malfunction, it seems you are pushing them all in too deep. Hope someone can offer some knowledge.

· Registered
36,813 Posts
You do realize you are loading both types of hulls there (Clay and Field is a Remington line if shells), a SW hull and a tapered hull with the same wad. I understand your issue is the primer, and typically the Rem hulls will be difficult to push other primers in that don't have the same top radius as a Remington primer, or so I have heard. But that is not your malfunction, it seems you are pushing them all in too deep. Hope someone can offer some knowledge.

· Registered
4,965 Posts
I have a Browning GTI that, for some reason, does not like a Federal hull loaded with a Fiocchi 616 primer. In a Winchester they work fine? I only have 600 of the Fiocchi left so an end is in site. I have plenty of other primers so just have to use these up and done.

· Registered
36,813 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
Had FTF when I was shooting a Browning citori, and a bent PW 800 + primer post. Replaced the bent primer post with a hardened post from WIZ White. The bent primer post was pushing the square Fiocchi primer in a angle causing the base of the hull to dish. I have shot 1000’s of orange box Fiocchi 209 primers since with one FTF. May have been a lot change in the primer cap with the new grey box primers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.