Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,427 Posts
From what people tell me They are an STS in a different dress. Supposedly they have a different wad ( don't know about the primer or powder) . If they have brass heads ans are reloadable as the STS, then Federal may be successful in selling them and win back some customers that they lost with that "Grand" flop.
Does the rank-and-file reloader know these HOA hulls can be reloaded using Rem data? Likely, will they have to wait until Alliant and Hodgdon publish data for them before that sinks in.

·
Registered
12,143 Posts
Does the rank-and-file reloader know these HOA hulls can be reloaded using Rem data? Likely, will they have to wait until Alliant and Hodgdon publish data for them before that sinks in.
Likely the Jury will still be out until that happens. I think Federal will bet a lot on this Horse. They gambled big on the "Grand" shell with a lot of hype which did not work out well for them . I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
7,422 Posts
Really, you think reloaders will not be able to visually tell the HOA is the same as an STS hull? Even with a Remington primer inserted in the head? That's pretty scary.

·
Premium Member
7,427 Posts
Really, you think reloaders will not be able to visually tell the HOA is the same as an STS hull? Even with a Remington primer inserted in the head? That's pretty scary.
Not unless someone tells them. You can bet on it. They will think they are just like all the other Federal hull laying on the ground. They won't pick up anything purple.

·
Registered
Beretta 686 SP1 Sporting
1 Posts
Hey all, new to the site but have been following this thread as I have acquired some HOA’s recently. I’ve been slowing getting components to reload sts hulls and will give the HOA’s a try once I shoot some. Here are some pictures comparing the two.
Fluid Tin Drink Publication Liquid

Font Gas Advertising Technology Publication
Coin Money Audio equipment Currency Hood

Automotive tire Guitar accessory Font Automotive wheel system Vehicle

As many have said they’re pretty much a red sts. I’ll report back when I’ve shot through some and ran them through my reloader.

Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’ll report back

Thanks, Jack
Jack - thanks for the photos. One question I do have is how consistent are the HOA hull lengths? If you could measure the lengths on a few of your once-fired hulls, that would be great. I think the STS's have a pretty good spread. With luck, they will pay attention to this on the HOA hulls (pipe dream probably, but hope springs eternal).

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I reloaded the box I got at the grand last year. Loaded just like a STS just a different color. Per the Federal rep they are STS hulls made at Remington then shipped to the Federal plant to be loaded. So they had Federal shot in them.
Must be primed at the Remington Plant - appears to be STS Primer. So if true they are sending over primed hulls to Federal for loading... so far I have not seen any on the West Coast in any stores.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Likely the Jury will still be out until that happens. I think Federal will bet a lot on this Horse. They gambled big on the "Grand" shell with a lot of hype which did not work out well for them . I guess time will tell.
I am still laughing about Federal calling steel hull bases on Grand shotshells their “primer lock” upgrade for reliable ignition. I don’t think I have purchased any Federal shotshells after that doozy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I just loaded 100 HOA with cb-1100-12 wads, 18 grains of Clay Dot, Win 209 primer and Lawrence #8. I used the same setting that I use for STS 1 oz shells which come out really good. With the HOA, they are slightly dished. Not an open hole but more dished than STS hulls…..or Nitro hulls for that matter. Hull measures just a tad shorter than my 1x STS hulls.

·
Registered
12,462 Posts
Won’t be loading them the same as sts’s.
You should reload them exactly the same as a STS hull. Just saw a add for the new HOA shells in the Claytarget mag. Federal is now advertising this shell as having a new tapered hull!!!

Whether, you need to adjust your final crimp die between the two is another matter. Just like one might have to adjust the final crimp die or pre-crimp die between the AA's and the STS's today. No big deal. These are still a great hull to reload. I know I will not be letting the Moron hulls sit on the ground to be tossed if I spot them while shooting. To each their own, I guess. break em all jeff

·
Registered
253 Posts
I for one would not have immediately known it was a tapered hull. I found some in the trash and threw them in with my Fed GM brass hulls. I figured that once I found enough more that I would check. Regardless, they are a great hull. Hope more folks buy them and toss them.

·
6,019 Posts
At the league tonight, one of the guys had a flat... fortunately I follow him on the rounds... nice hull, one can immediately see the lineage, including the brass head...

BINGO...

Reactions: bill1064
21 - 39 of 39 Posts