Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reloading data for this new Federal HOA case. I’m guessing it will be awhile and with not much component wise to choose from. Just curious as if any of you had heard of any data.

·
Registered
12,462 Posts
The Federal HOA is made with the Remington STS hull. Only made in a different color is all. The HOA is Red (Moroon). Remington uses Green or Gold for their colors. Same hull, so just load the HOA like any Remington hull. Be sure to use a tapered wad!!! Not a strait walled wad like in the other Federal hulls. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
397 Posts
They looked and felt like red STS hulls, so I bought a flat hoping that’s what they were. If I don’t like them at least the hull will be useful. I don’t remember exactly what they cost, but I know they were more than I wanted to pay.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
They looked and felt like red STS hulls, so I bought a flat hoping that’s what they were. If I don’t like them at least the hull will be useful. I don’t remember exactly what they cost, but I know they were more than I wanted to pay.
They are halfway between Winchester AA ($120) and Remington STS prices ($140) on the BassPro website last time I looked, at $130 a case. I didn’t buy any, but I did get one flat of AA in case any team mates get desperate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Federal needed a premium shell as they didn't have one other than the paper. The plastic Gold Medal Grand was a poor copy of the old Gold Medal and not much better than a Top Gun. Easiest way was to copy one of the best shells available, the STS/Nitro, change the color and slightly modify the wad to a "figure O" (my description) from a figure 8.

·
Premium Member
7,422 Posts
wonder why federal went to a tapered hull, they've been straight walled ever since the wine colored champion II ?? dennis
The most recent offering from Federal, the Grand was a flop. Loyal Federal users were predominantly disgusted with the factory load and the hull (brass head).

In their design teams infant wisdom I would imagine came this astonishing idea of, hey we just acquired Remington let's just color the frosting differently and let marketing sugar coat the STS hull albeit different color into the new phenomenal shell of the trapshooting world.

Heard from a friend😱

·
Registered
28,274 Posts
wonder why federal went to a tapered hull, they've been straight walled ever since the wine colored champion II ?? dennis
Because they bought REMINGTON lock, stock, and ammo factory. And started cranking out Remington shells with new reddish colors and the Federal name on the equipment in the new bought factory.

Reactions: valmet and Nebs

·
Registered
28 Posts
We just got a big shipment of them to our local Walmart. I realize they are just an STS clone, but for what it's worth I think they are the best looking shotgun shell I've ever seen. The deep burgundy is semi-translucent. Gorgeous to look at and I'm sure they shoot just like an STS. $13.00 out the door is at least competitive compared to current nitro/sts pricing....

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Federal needed a premium shell as they didn't have one other than the paper. The plastic Gold Medal Grand was a poor copy of the old Gold Medal and not much better than a Top Gun. Easiest way was to copy one of the best shells available, the STS/Nitro, change the color and slightly modify the wad to a "figure O" (my description) from a figure 8.
Gold medals have a brass head.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
No. They don’t. Not on the new variety. Only on the papers.
Gold Medals had a brass head, Gold Medal Grands, the white ones, had a brass washed steel head. the magnet doesn't lie.
Gold Medal GRAND was overlooked by me. Gold medals DO have a brass head. You'll get no argument about grands not being much different from top guns. Guess I need to read closer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For those that have tried the hoa’s do they live up to their claim that they are less felt recoil. How do they shoot compared to Winchester and Remington target loads?

·
Registered
12,143 Posts
From what people tell me They are an STS in a different dress. Supposedly they have a different wad ( don't know about the primer or powder) . If they have brass heads ans are reloadable as the STS, then Federal may be successful in selling them and win back some customers that they lost with that "Grand" flop.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts