Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am halfway through my shot shell stash, and I came upon 5 flats of Federal Gold Medal Paper shotshells. Obviously, these were purchased years ago, before Federal switched over to the "Grand" shotshells. An interesting thing happened. I had shot a flat of Federal Gold Medal Paper shells years ago, and just could not understand all the talk about the Federal Paper smell. I even snorted a few right out of the barrel. It didn't smell like anything worth talking about. However, I am 2 boxes into this batch and suddenly, I noticed a very pleasant aroma. I wonder if I had a bad flat years ago, or something in my nose has changed.

But my question is, has anything changed with the Federal Grand Papers compared to the Federal Gold Medal Papers? I have not only been enjoying the aroma, my scores have been pretty good too. Lovely handicap breaks. I would consider buying some of the newer Grand Papers when the madness is over, yet I seem to remember gripes about Federal changing the paper shotshells when they discontinued the Gold Medal line?

· Registered
396 Posts
I am halfway through my shot shell stash, and I came upon 5 flats of Federal Gold Medal Paper shotshells. Obviously, these were purchased years ago, before Federal switched over to the "Grand" shotshells. An interesting thing happened. I had shot a flat of Federal Gold Medal Paper shells years ago, and just could not understand all the talk about the Federal Paper smell. I even snorted a few right out of the barrel. It didn't smell like anything worth talking about. However, I am 2 boxes into this batch and suddenly, I noticed a very pleasant aroma. I wonder if I had a bad flat years ago, or something in my nose has changed.

But my question is, has anything changed with the Federal Grand Papers compared to the Federal Gold Medal Papers? I have not only been enjoying the aroma, my scores have been pretty good too. Lovely handicap breaks. I would consider buying some of the newer Grand Papers when the madness is over, yet I seem to remember gripes about Federal changing the paper shotshells when they discontinued the Gold Medal line?
Earl Scripture sure sniffed a bunch of em.

Kerry Allor told me six or eight years that something had been changed with those shells, they weren't what they used to be.

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
I used to drive a 1983 Ford E250 Club Wagon van from 1983 to 2005 (331,000 miles). When I would visit the Grand in Vandalia, I would drive back to Louisville, KY with several target boxes of once fired Federal Papers. The pleasant smell of Federal Papers would penetrate the carpet and cloth seats and linger for a couple of weeks. It also kept flies and other bugs away.

When reloading Federal Papers, a Federal 209A primer, 12C1 wad, 18 grains of Alliant Red Dot and 1 1/8 oz of magnum 7 1/2's was a great load.

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
Back in the 1960's, we had paper everything; Federal Champion, Winchester Xpert, Rem Sure Shot, etc. Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery Ward all sold shot shell under their own name. I think that Federal made most of these. Target and hunting shells were mostly paper and the paper was much thicker than today's paper.

Around 1966, Winchester high brass loads then came with a plastic collar (Mark 5) around the shot charge in their paper shells. Then came the Winchester AA plastic hull and almost everybody went to plastic hulls. Inside of the hulls, plastic wads replaced felt wads, shot became harder and pattern efficiency increased.

· Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Back in the 1960's, we had paper everything; Federal Champion, Winchester Xpert, Rem Sure Shot, etc. Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery Ward all sold shot shell under their own name. I think that Federal made most of these. Target and hunting shells were mostly paper and the paper was much thicker than today's paper.

Around 1966, Winchester high brass loads then came with a plastic collar (Mark 5) around the shot charge in their paper shells. Then came the Winchester AA plastic hull and almost everybody went to plastic hulls. Inside of the hulls, plastic wads replaced felt wads, shot became harder and pattern efficiency increased.
Man - growing up I loved the old Super X Mark 5 shells ....... to me they were the best store-bought hunting shells I have had the pleasure of shooting

· Registered
3,218 Posts
I used to drive a 1983 Ford E250 Club Wagon van from 1983 to 2005 (331,000 miles). When I would visit the Grand in Vandalia, I would drive back to Louisville, KY with several target boxes of once fired Federal Papers. The pleasant smell of Federal Papers would penetrate the carpet and cloth seats and linger for a couple of weeks. It also kept flies and other bugs away.

When reloading Federal Papers, a Federal 209A primer, 12C1 wad, 18 grains of Alliant Red Dot and 1 1/8 oz of magnum 7 1/2's was a great load.
A few years ago I did the same thing. Driving from Tucson to Iowa with a target box full of once fired Fed. papers in the cab was better than any air freshener you could buy.
I would add that the 12S3 wad and 19 gr. of Green Dot load is good too.

· Registered
100 Posts
In around 1962 [I was 12-ish], we reloaded AAs with our Classic Lee Loader and a fiber mallet. I still have my nylon crimp starter and a black plastic wad guide. Having the plastic cases and AA wads was great. We were still loading field/duck loads with fiber wads and Alcan powders.

Back to the topic--When I wanted a treat 20 years ago I would buy a couple of cases of Fed papers and reload them one time with Red Dot or PB.

· Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone shooting the new Grand Papers? I see some posts in old threads that say they aren't as thick as the Gold Medal papers, or that they are more likely to split on the first fire. Others say papers have always done stuff like that.

Reactions: 6541

· Registered
123 Posts
Rookie question here. When you guys are talking about papers/plastics, I know you’re talking about the wads, but is there an advantage of one over the other (other than smell!)?
They're talking about the actual shell not the wad.. Federal Papers are indeed manufactured out of paper vs the plastic grand shells federal produces. The recoil from a paper shell vs plastic shell is different papers are lighter on the recoil. Also the smell of papers in the morning, cant describe it unless you find a box and shoot it, lovely aroma.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.