Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who shoot Federal Gold Metal ammo, is there any significant difference between shooing plastic hulls versus paper hulls?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
The significant difference???? About $25 a flat more for papers.

The results???? Papers smell wwwaaayyy better than plastic. LOL

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
My experience is that both hulls are great but different. The plastics have a little more room in them and, with Green Dot, take about .5 grains to achieve the same velocity.

The plastics are quicker to reload because you don't have to inspect the hulls as closely as you do the twice and three times fired papers.

I think that the plastic hull is stronger than the paper hull and can handle higher pressure. Years ago, I experienced a few paper hulls, that when loaded with 1 1/4 oz. of shot and 25 grains of Herco, allowed gas to escape when fired at the edge of the rim.

In my younger days, I used to load 40 grains of Blue Dot, 1 1/2 oz. of shot, a F209 primer and the RP-12 wad in a paper hull with no problems (other than heavy recoil, long blue flame at the muzzle and super loud report.) That load was a money maker in games shooting.

I prefer the paper hull over the ribbed plastic but both are great hulls.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
629 Posts
When I started shooting in 1992 the conventional wisdom was papers had less recoil. I am not sure it is noticeably less and I never did a side/side comparison. Perhaps someone has.

Jim

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Federal papers have a fiber wound base wad which the Federal Gold metals don't have. As Shipbuilder mentioned most shooters believe the papaer hulls are softer shooting when compared to an equivlently loaded plastic hull shell and I believe it's so.

Federal also make a plastic hulled shell with a fiber wound base wad which are sold as red hulled Estate target loads and brown hulled Federal field loads which are normally found in Walmart. Both these loads seem to have lighter felt recoil than other plastic hulled shells which is attributed to their fiber base wad.

Surfer

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I reload Federal plastics - 12SO wads for 1 oz. loads with 19.0 grains of GreenDot, #8 shot and Federal Primers. Seems to work good. I sould say that in the last 3000 rounds or so........2 or 3 have seperated down at the brass, but not an issue at this point.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I really like the GM paper handicap load. Something 'magic' about them - real or imagined they just work for me. If you are looking for reloadability go with the Remington STS/N27 shells.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Wish Federal would come out with an after shave that smells like papers! Nothing smells better...awwww gun powder in the morning!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Love Federal Paper Handicap 7.5's. They run about 10$ a flat more. I generally shoot the paper just for hcp, then use the pink or red,white&blue lite 8's for 16's and dbls.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Federal Gold Medal Plastic has a lot of case capacity if you are making high-velocity or high-payload loads (well over ATA/NSSA speed limits). Much more than a Rem STS/Win AA hull.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Clyde : I don`t recall having a Fed paper hull ever smell like the outhouse door on a tuna boat...KS-OKIE.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
I guess I shoot new and reload papers simply for the nostalgia. My father loaded them and so my grand father also.

Now, if you shoot or even reload papers my buddies ooh and ahhh over them. "Oh big money papers." What ever. It costs more to reload them needing more powder of performance.

Whether they are better or not I haven't a clue. 18 grains of red dot for singles behind an oz, and 24.5 grains of pb behind 1.125 bring me back to my younger day's and lots of fun memories.

That's Federal Papers to me.

Brady Gies

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Other than shooting in heavy rain I love the Federal Paper shells. If they cost the same as plastic GM's I believe more people would buy them. It seems the hulls are very much in demand as once-fired, from the gun to the bag. I've never understood why they cost more. If they cost the same would you prefer them?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts