Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is getting out of trap shooting and gave me a couple thousand mostly once fired Federal Gold Medal hulls and about a case of 12S3 wads. I shoot primarily one ounce loads in Remington hulls so shoot Clay Dot and am fortunate to have a good supply on hand. I also have a good supply of Winchester 209 Primers.

There was a thread a while back explaining the differences in Clays and Clay Dot especially in 1 1/8 ounce loads so I want to stay with Alliant's recomended loads. I can only find one load on Alliant's site for Clay Dot, 12S3 wads, 1 1/8 ounces of shot and Federal Gold Medal hulls at 1145 FPS. However, it lists the primer as a Fed 209A. I was told that the Winchester 209 is a little hotter and I would get roughly the same velocity and pressure if I backed off 1/2 grain and used the Winchester primers.

I am reluctant to stray off of manufactures recommendations so am requesting thoughts of shooters who have experience with the components that I mentioned above. Also, was I given good advice to back off 1/2 grain and substitute the Fed209A with the Winchester primers?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
From the 2013 guide:

Fed GM hull, 1 1/8 oz shot, Fed 209A primer, 12S3 wad, 17.1 gr C Dot, 7590 psi 1145 f/s.

If this is the load that is in the on-line guide, you can try and increase the powder to 17.6 gr C Dot, and use your Win 209 primer at 7590 psi I don't think that you will be close to 11500 psi max.

Jason

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
rdland:

You really need to run your question past Alliant. Their on line reloaders guide has an "Ask the Experts" section. Or... you can email Ben Amonette directly. Unfortunately, I don't have Mr. A's email address handy but I'm sure some helpful soul will chime in with it shortly.

sissy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts