Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if all this has been covered before, but I remember when Federal went from the previous Gold Medals to the Grands that we have now.

I was able to pick some up on clearance at everyone's favorite retailer....

If I remember correctly, the old Gold Medal had brass bases correct? Wasn't that the biggest change?

How does everyone like the Grands? Do they perform like the old ones?

It looks like the only way to still get brass in target loads from Federal is to buy the Paper Grands, which I'm not opposed to.

Any pros and cons to them?

·
Registered
258 Posts
:popcorn: several will be on here shortly telling you how bad they are and that they have disowned Federal for making an inferior shell for a premium price. Yes they have steel heads. And yes the old were brass. And some say the lead is softer and it made a big difference in their scores. Yada Yada yada.

They shoot fine for me and they reload fine too.

Good luck and good shooting

YMMV

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
:popcorn: several will be on here shortly telling you how bad they are and that they have disowned Federal for making an inferior shell for a premium price. Yes they have steel heads. And yes the old were brass. And some say the lead is softer and it made a big difference in their scores. Yada Yada yada.

They shoot fine for me and they reload fine too.

Good luck and good shooting

If you don't mind paying for Premium priced shells, for Top Gun Quality, by all means proceed!
Those that know better, won't spend $9.00 a box for PROMO ammunition.
Again, it's your choice,
MG

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is considered promo prices? Noticed that federal has a rebate going now.

I'm interested the papers. Just to try them.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
New Grands are a promo shell at premium price. PERIOD!

Those that say otherwise have their heads up their you know what. The Grand papers still have a brass base, but they aren't worth what they charge for them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New Grands are a promo shell at premium price. PERIOD!

Those that say otherwise have their heads up their you know what. The Grand papers still have a brass base, but they aren't worth what they charge for them.
What are considered premium shells? AA? Remington STS?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, By far and away!
If you don't believe it, buy a box of each.
Disassemble them. Look at yhe construction. Send the shot out to the lab for testing. Then, you make up your own mind.

MG
Just wanted to make sure I knew a premium load still. I'm from the hunting world, we live off promo loads. Lol

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Just wanted to make sure I knew a premium load still. I'm from the hunting world, we live off promo loads. Lol
Really,
I do not know any hunters that make that claim. Quite the opposite actually, that's why the ammo manufacturers target hunters with much HIGHER priced ammunition. "Because they can"
MG

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I'm that guy...if u reload the hulls are junk, I'll buy them if they are cheap enough ,the last I bought were $54 with the rebate but the hulls go over my shoulder like all the other cheap hulls. Jerry

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Really,
I do not know any hunters that make that claim. Quite the opposite actually, that's why the ammo manufacturers target hunters with much HIGHER priced ammunition. "Because they can"
MG
For waterfowl I'm not going out and buying hevishot or tungsten matrix.

Speed Shok steel works well as well as the expert and sportsman offered by federal, winchester, and Remington.

The only occasion I have splurged is on bismuth for older gins, but they are even better better pricing now.

I've used everything for doves. I don't think the shell is hurting or helping me much there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm that guy...if u reload the hulls are junk, I'll buy them if they are cheap enough ,the last I bought were $54 with the rebate but the hulls go over my shoulder like all the other cheap hulls. Jerry
I don't currently reload.

Guess if I shoot premium rounds, I'll save the hulls to sell to someone who does.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I've used everything for doves. I don't think the shell is hurting or helping me much there
its been a while since I've put the typical shell sold as "dove and quail load" on paper. The last time was to show someone what a false economy the cheapie shells with a shot wrapper or wad with soft lead was doing from their gun. Try some on paper and i think it'll be an eye opener.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its been a while since I've put the typical shell sold as "dove and quail load" on paper. The last time was to show someone what a false economy the cheapie shells with a shot wrapper or wad with sort lead was doing from their gun. Try some on paper and i think it'll be an eye opener.
That is one thing I really haven't done and need to, is to spend time at the pattern board.

·
Registered
258 Posts
As I said earlier. These shells don't turn the crank for some. Many of which are the most vocal on this site.

Are they superior shells? No
Do they reload better or the same? Not really
Are they a great value? Not at normal pricing.

BUT, if they are what you have confidence in then by all means have at it. I think confidence is a big part of our game. Only you know if it is worth it or not.

I dont love them, but I shot them in the singles this weekend. They were fine but not better than Top Guns that I pay less for. But I'm not going to throw a fit and get upset with Federal for their marketing approach and choices. But at the same time I dont think I'm at a competitive disadvantage if I shoot them. I've shot good scores with them.

To each their own.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts