Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Walmart has finally switched to the new Federal 4-packs ...I think they were labeled Field and Target..red box/sleeve.

From my initial inspection at the store, looks like now a brass colored base and what looks to be a different primer. Has anyone had any experience with these new wally world 4packs?

I only ask as I have shot Rios/Fiocchi in the past with not so great results as my gun kept on piercing the primers on these brands. I was told to stay away from "Cheddite" primers, as this is what those brands use..so I was told. I have been shooting fed top guns exclusively because of this. I remember reading a thread couple months ago, but I don't think there was a consensus on the subject.

Wanted to ask the experts before I buy a large amount of these, as people usually gobble them up and fill up their carts.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I tried a couple of those 4 packs. 3 out of 100 were misfires. Primer was hit hard, but, no bang. Others have told me that the primers are odd sized. I don't reload, so components don't mean much to me. I just know a 3% failure rate is not acceptable in factory loads.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I bought 700 rounds. No misfires, but one shell was not sized properly and would not fit in a bt99. 1 other shell did not have a primer at all and powder spilled out when removing it from my vest pocket. I never found the primer so I am guessing it never had one.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Typical cheap promotional shell.

As with all things, it's hard to get quality without spending more. I'm not saying it can't be done, but in this particular case, it's true.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.Thanks for thereply.. I know nothing about components
Is it safe to say if my gun pierces primers on cheddites, that it will also with Rio primers ?

Or are they the same thing different name?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought 2 flats of them and I get at least 1 pierced primer in every box. Some boxes as many as 4-5. When theses are gone I'll likely be replacing a firing pin.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guess I'll stick with top guns.
being from NY...my only option is to wait for my club to do a CAC order..or wait for field&stream or Dicks so have sales on them as they retail for 6.99 if they're not on sale

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am buying the Federal Dove and Qual loads at Walmart for $4.94 a box plus tax. They work great to the 24 yard line. Only thing is you have to buy individual boxes. Never had a problem with them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts