Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current recipe (from hodgdon data) uses win 209 primers. I recently lucked into some fed 209a primers. I ran the data with both types of primers and it seems I'm able to drop the same amount of powder regardless of primer in the case of the recipe I'm using. I have read to always check before switching components. Is this instance the norm, or just blind luck? Pressure difference is about 400 psi different. I'm loading 17.5 not 18g. Am I in the realm to switch primers with same recipe when I run out of win 209? Seems so with the data.

New guy question: why are all loads listed as max on the hodgdon website? Same components and one load will be listed as max and another 3 or more grains of powder also listed as max. No components changed. I assume legally covering themselves?

Last new guy question: I ran out of tgt12 wads and started using waa12sL wads. Hodgdon shows published loads with the same powder and shot weights. I noticed that the waa12sL wads leave the crimp slightly more open allowing 1 or 2 pieces of shot to fall out the hole in the crimp. Some hulls close up perfectly. More than not seem to be slightly open. I've seen el cheapo shells and sporting loads similar to my results. I know they'll shoot. Should I adjust my crimps to match the results of my loads with tgt12 wads or just go for it? I have more tgt 12 incoming.

Normally I'd ask the guys I shoot with but we aren't able to shoot so here I am. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,929 Posts
Looks like you are using Rem Gun Club hulls. They are famous for having inconsistent length. The differences you are seeing, with holes in some and not in others, is due to some being a bit shorter or longer than others. Adjust your crimp starters down bit by bit until the holes close and are start getting swirls in the crimps (harmless).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nebs, you got me back on track with the crimps. At least now they are not leaking shot. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
mat! is your loader mounted solid to a sturdy bench ?
It sorta looks like some your shells look a little more full than others.
Inconsistent powder/shot drops can happen whith a rickety set up...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mat! is your loader mounted solid to a sturdy bench ?
It sorta looks like some your shells look a little more full than others.
Inconsistent powder/shot drops can happen whith a rickety set up...
Its solid in that it does not move when I pull the handle. It's not bolted to the wall though. That can be changed.

The last picture I sent my powder bottle was getting on the low side which may account for the inconsistency as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts