Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for alternative wads. Fed Papers, 1-1/8oz., Red Dot 18.0 grains, Fed 209A primers, and 12S3 wads. I’m running low on wads, and with all of the other potential shortages seems like I may need to use an alternate.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers, Dusty

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've used a lot of Windjammers and the CB clone of them in the Federal Papers. I use American Select but if you want to stay with Red Dot, go up a 1/2 grain to 18.5 and it will match your recipe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I only use the Claybuster clone. Check online I found quite a few reloading companies have them in stock.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Downrange DRHF3, the hybrid 8 petal. Slick, loads easy. Not that it actually makes any difference, it flies straight in path. Almost appears to hit the target just behind the shot, then falls down.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I stocked up with several bags when I heard that the 12S3's were discontinued. I have had good luck with the Claybuster clone CB-2118 as it is a slight bit taller for IMO a better stack height and the overpowder cup is wider and a more consistent shape than the 12S3 or the Downrange clone. I use the same data as the 12S3 with Fed.papers and paper basewad Top Gun hulls.
I usually just load Red and Green Dot with some Unique.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The Claybuster 2118 fit (seal up) better than the Downrange DFHF3. If you are shooting in the cold weather you will know what I mean. But there are several different versions of wads by both companies, each with their own number, just make sure what you get are for straight wall cases and not for tapered cases.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I got a deal on some down range 12s3 copies from a shooter who had sealing problems with a .750 bore diameter. It was mostly during cold weather. Bore on my gun is .733 and no problems last time I shot any. With shells getting hard to find I'll be loading the rest of them in gold medal hulls and don't expect problems. They run through a mec slick. Ive never compared diameters on the federal vs the down range. If I think of it I'll mic some and see if there's a difference.

·
Registered
257 Posts
There is a difference between wads as stated by the poster above. I measured OEM Federal wads vs Claybuster and the Feds were .010 to .020 undersized. In an overbored barrel that could cause problems . Also claybuster wads are softer than Federals. The Federals I have are not real pliable and with the undersize problem will cause problems.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Also make sure if you are comparing wads between Federal, Claybuster and Downrange that you are comparing current manufacture wads. Over the years the plastic compound used in Claybuster and Downrange have changed. I know several years ago that Claybuster changed theirs so they are slicker.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Also if you go to Claybuster's website you can request some sample wads to use. Try out the CB-2118 and the CB-6118 for possible 12S3 replacements.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts