Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live and grew up in the south. I come from a non hunting family but was introduced to hunting by a friend when I was in my early twenties. Over the last 20 years I've hunted small game and deer here in Arkansas and bird hunted in Kansas a little.
Here lately I have interested in trying something new. I have been watching hunting videos of guys in the mountains hunting elk and mule deer and it looks like a lot of fun. I also have buddies that swear that antelope is a lot of fun.
What is your favorite western hunt? What hunt would you recommend for a guy that's never been west of Kansas? It will most likely have to be DIY and on public land.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Wyoming Black Hills for me and my wife, we love it there. It is about 90% Whitetail and then Mulies. Antelope not too far away. Been going since '91. Would love to do Utah or Az but just cant take myself away from the ranch and my fiends there.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Hopefully my favorite western hunt is in less than 2 weeks!
My son and I are leaving the St Louis area for western North Dakota on the 21st.
We are both really looking forward to it!
We are going after prairie dogs on private land.
I was in Fargo about 20 years ago working but had not been out there hunting.
We are basing out of Dickinson and the ranch we are going to is a small place by Dakota standards. Large to us at 2,800 acres!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Born, raised, live, and hunt in the intermountain NW...but have traveled all over the US. The only warning I would give you is if you head west get in shape first. If you are chasing elk or Mulies your lungs work harder at 7500 feet and what we call a hill is what you guys call a mountain. Not being a jerk I have just witnessed shock in peoples eyes once they get out here. That said my favorite is Mule Deer on the breaks wear you can glass. If you are not going with a guide the vastness of public land can be daunting.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
My favorite was the 2 self guided, pack tent hunts me and 4 buddies did in Colorado mountains. That is until my Brother in Law killed a nice bull elk.
Then there were the 2 guided hunts in Alaska. I am especially fond of the first trip on the first night. Quickly after falling asleep, I was awakened by the yelling of the guide. Then the roar of a bear. I hollered at my hunting companion, Bear in camp, grabbed my rifle and raced toward the noise. I am on 1 bank , the Sow and 3 cubs on the other. The guide is in the boat, everytime he tries to get to the rear, which is also closer to the Sow, and his guns. The boat swings him even closer.
I asked what I should do? He says ,if she touches water put her down. Luckily after 3 more false charges, and gathering her cubs she walked away.
We never saw her again.
My hunting partner killed a monster moose. That's also when the fun quit :)
20191106_151120.jpg

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have done one elk hunt one mule deer hunt and three antelope hunts. Going for elk next year with the bow. My first bull was with the rifle. Spot and stalk antelope with the bow was a hoot. Each have their own place in my heart. I would just plan on hunting them all sooner or later. Pick a state and start buying preference points so when you do decide to go you will be able to pull the tag.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only warning I would give you is if you head west get in shape first. If you are chasing elk or Mulies your lungs work harder at 7500 feet and what we call a hill is what you guys call a mountain. Not being a jerk I have just witnessed shock in peoples eyes once they get out here.
That's part of the attraction for me. I want to experience the vastness of that country. I may end up doing a guided hunt the first time, but that would mean having to save up a while.

Reactions: henrydog

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Montana is #1 on my list of places to hunt. I've watched a lot of Randy Newberg's videos and the scenery in his hunts is breath taking. It's just one of the most expensive non resident tags for big game.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have had the pleasure of Colorado Elk and Deer hunting, Wyoming Deer and Antelope hunting and Deer in other plains states and the South as well. I can say that I enjoyed CO and WY the most. Of the 5 elk, a couple of 5x5s were my best.

As far as the meat (I'm not a horn hunter really; I don't mind taking the cows/does) the WY antelope were the very best. I'd say it's the best hoofed game I've eaten. These antelope fed on the alfalfa flats along irrigation ditches and had no "sage" taste to them. They were just excellent. In fact, antelope hunting was the only hoofed game hunt my wife encouraged me to do more often.

Then next would be the elk. The deer were ok but after the antelope...meh. :)

·
Premium Member
12,898 Posts
I've a buddy with a ranch in Wyoming - just south of Evanston. Antelope and deer are common. Occasional visits (so I've been told) by bear, plus a few other game species (I forget if it is moose or bison). It is rough, but you could camp there and close enough to Evanston so you can hit town for showers, etc. as needed. The great thing is there is a massive state game land that the ranch borders - with no other access - if you hunt there, you can then hunt the state land. This is the only property in the area with a spring on it so it is a draw for game.

I have visited and it is stunning. He wants me to build him a hunting cabin there. - Worth looking into.

Quad bikes would work...

P7180446.JPG

Reactions: cmccoy76

·
Registered
274 Posts
Was stationed at Lowry AFB in Aurora, CO from 1968 - 1975. Was never an outdoorsman until then, but as a young enlisted man I was fortunate to fall into the company of a number of senior NCOs who were life long outdoorsmen. They taught me how to fish, bird hunt (both upland game and waterfowl) and big game hunt, both mule deer and elk. Many of my most precious memories are of those hunting and fishing trips. We hunted elk just north of Meeker and I cannot imagine a more fulfilling experience. I hunted elk for seven years and never pulled a trigger on one although other members of our party filled their tags.

If you told me today that I could go back and do it all over again and know going in that I would never even take a shot, I would jump at the chance to do so. The camaraderie, the beauty of the outdoors, the smell of the pines, the BS sessions at the end of the day... Well, all I can say is that I am SO lucky to have had those experiences.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Colorado has over the counter Bull Elk tags. There are tons of public land here so a DIY hunt is entirely possible. Go to the Colorado Department of Wildlife website and search for a hunting area with high success rates that has public land. Now the hunt is yours for the taking. Deer, Antelope and premium Elk areas require a drawing for rifle and it’s too late this year to apply. The high altitudes will take a toll on you but you can have a lot of fun. Camp on the Public land and have at it. There’s a tremendous amount of hunting on public land that’s 5,000 - 7,000 ft. that will reduce the impact of altitude on your lungs. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Were just opposite right now, I've been going East to Arkansas for the last several years. Quite a differences in strategies between the two. My first year In Arkansas I missed several good deer because I was trying to look to far out through the trees. When I finally noticed them 15-30 yards away I would spook them trying to get in position. Out West you'll sometimes need to look out as far as possible and spend hours on the approach. Good times doing it both way!!

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Raised in Oregon and hunted deer , Elk, and Antelope every year I have a soft spot for my home state but it has been RUINED for deer by the 7,000 Cougars we now have. I just go to Montana whenever I draw the tag and its as good and perhaps better then the Oregon of my youth. Great state for a do it yourself hunt.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I hunt elk in Washington, and put a couple in the freezer, my only bull being a spike. Did a Wyoming elk hunt with my Dad, and watched him smack a 5x5 bull. Great experience on horse back deep in the back country. Elk hunting is a lot of fun, and someday I would like a branch bull of my own. If I had to pick one big game spices, I would hunt mule deer. There is just something about those mulies I cant get enough of.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Son and I got back this past Sunday from our trip to North Dakota. We had a blast!
We left home a day early so we got to sele Wal Drug and Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota.
Both having never seen or shot at prairie dogs had a little trouble seeing and shooting the first day or so.
You're basically shooting at a water bottle sized target.
By the end of the week we were seeing a lot more and shooting a lot more.
My personal best was a ranged 162 yards, center mass shot with a .22.
My sons was 575 yards ranged with my Remington 783 in .223 caliber.
Not bad for my kid and not bad for a 60 year-old stroke survivor!
My goal on this trip was met, I hope.
Everything I did was for my son. I won't ever forget the trip but I hope he can look back and remember his first prairie dog hunt with his Dad. I think he will!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Son and I got back this past Sunday from our trip to North Dakota. We had a blast!
We left home a day early so we got to sele Wal Drug and Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota.
Both having never seen or shot at prairie dogs had a little trouble seeing and shooting the first day or so.
You're basically shooting at a water bottle sized target.
By the end of the week we were seeing a lot more and shooting a lot more.
My personal best was a ranged 162 yards, center mass shot with a .22.
My sons was 575 yards ranged with my Remington 783 in .223 caliber.
Not bad for my kid and not bad for a 60 year-old stroke survivor!
My goal on this trip was met, I hope.
Everything I did was for my son. I won't ever forget the trip but I hope he can look back and remember his first prairie dog hunt with his Dad. I think he will!
Memories made that will not be forgotten I promise you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
For Me it’s Deer or Antelope in SD, MY WY why I like spot & stalk hunting.
I am going to Colorado Elk hunting 3rd Rifle season love the high country but the success rate SUCKS for the over the counter hunts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts