Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smirnoff "21" or Gordon's vodka work for me. These are moderately priced brands. I like about 2 oz. of the 80 proof versions to give me just the right buzz at bedtime. I mix a vodka and tonic cocktail, with a wedge of lime squeezed into an 8 oz glass.

Are all vodkas the same? What is the point in the higher priced brands? The all seem the same to me.

Do you have to drink it straight to appreciate the differences between brands?

My relatives in Poland drink it right out of the bottle. Once a bottle is opened, it must be consumed that day.

My dad was stationed in Iran during WWII. There was a lot of cheap vodka available. A favorite drink was the "salty dog". a mixture of vodka, orange or grapefruit juice and salt. The orange and grapefruit juice was "liberated" from US Army mess tents.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used to buy Grey Goose until someone turned me on the Costco's Kirkland proprietary vodka. Surprisingly good for the price.

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
Try Skyy...

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Stoli, straight from the freezer

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Trader Joe's sells a new brand called Cupcake. There are three flavored ones I don't like and an original unflavored that is very good. The best part is that it is $5.99 per bottle. I'm planning to stock just in case they realize it's priced too low.

Larry

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Tito's made in Austin Tx. If you have not tried it you will be surprised at the flavor for the cost

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
The better ones are filtered more, removing many other toxins that cause a hangover, other than alcohol.(congers}

Smirnoff for a mixer, Stoli for a Martini. (with blue cheese stuffed olives}.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm with pca7ggr. The Costco Kirkland vodka is tough to beat. And at about $23.00 a 1.75L it's REALLY tough to beat (it is premium vodka). Vodka on the rocks and maybe with a couple blue cheese stuffed olives.

BUT!!!

Chopin potato vodka is the smoothest out there without a doubt. Chilled or on the rocks it is the ultra-premium vodka. I've converted many a vodka drinker to Chopin from Kettle, Grey Goose, and Belvidere.

I'd like to thank "Doc" from Las Vegas for introducing me to Chopin many years ago at the Illinois State Shoot.

As someone on here likes to close his opinions......"Your mileage may vary".

JB

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just read a report the other night saying that all vodkas are the same. They all start out at 190 proof alcohol and the main difference is only the water that is then used to dilute them. Oh yeah, and some have a little artificial flavoring to make them seem different......BUD

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Much like gasoline, it's the additives that give you the different octane ratings & other gee whiz stuff.

Eric

1 - 20 of 37 Posts