Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished boiling my turkey brine with some maple syrup, honey, hot sauce, thyme, bay leaves, cloves, fresh garlic, onion chunks, apple juice and of course equal parts brown sugar. Have used this for a few years now with great success.

This turkey will be smoked with apple wood and will turn out awesome as previous years.

Wondering what the rest of the "briners/smokers" (made up word(s) I know...) like to use.

Maybe I will try a new recipe this summer and see if there is something that will be good to switch up for thanksgiving 2014?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 14 pound turkey turned out juicy with a hint of apple smoke. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

noknock1_2008_03036.jpg

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made the jump to electric. I have used an offset wood burned smoker for a decade now, but it finally rusted away. Based on cost, I went with a first generation Masterbuilt Electric Smoker, 40" with dual probes. It was 17 degrees at my house when I fired that thing up and it got up to 225 in about 25-30 minutes and held the temp with no problems the rest of the day even after it got up to around 25 degrees and the wind started blowing. There are some really nice electric smokers by various companies out there, but I decided to go entry level.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Alton Browns recipe , been using for years1 gallon vegetable stck,1cup kosher salt,1 tablespoon black peppercorns, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 11/2 teaspoons allspice berries 11/2 teaspoons chopped candided ginger.Bring contents to a boil less Ice water, let cool then add 1 gallon ice water. Jeff

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Our son has two propane smokers, a vertical Masterbuilt and a newer large horizontal Traeger that feeds itself wood pellets and has a separate warming area for which he paid over $1,500. He soaked his turkey in some kind of brine concoction for 15 hours, then rubbed it with something and smoked it. Or maybe he rubbed it and then soaked it. Whatever, it came out very moist but also very ham-like in taste.

As you might have gathered, I come from the school of thought that a good piece of meat doesn't need all that embellishment. My wife made our traditional oven-roasted turkey and it was great!

Ed

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I like to smoke turkey-------but they're kinda hard to stuff in my pipe.

Kinda hard to light too. LOL

Chuck

P.S. I just had to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts