Trapshooters Forum banner

Favorite powder for hunting loads

6K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  sandcountyalmanac 
#1 ·
I’ve only used 700x and clays for all of my target loads. I want to load up some pheasant loads for next year and would like to hear what powder folks prefer. These will be 2 3/4” shells and 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 oz shot.

#3 ·
I still favor Alliant "Bluedot" for 1/14 and 1 3/8 oz ounce hunting loads. I worked up loads using Hodgdon "Longshot" powder when introduced yet the pattering board showed Bluedot powder provided better pattering. My preferred hunting wads is the Winchester AA 12R which is still available from Claybuster as a Winchester clone. The Remington "12RP" wad is a alternate choice yet not much load data available for this wad. Shot size is Always.....Always...#5 Magnum.

My absolute favorite hunting powder was the discontinued "IMR-4756" ...made some killer 1 1/4 oz loads with high velocity and excellent pattering. I sill hording a pound of this powder.

I'm sure many pheasant loads will be shared here in a few days.

#6 ·
Loudshot

But I wouldn't waste your time.

As few hunting loads as you are likely to use, you won't recoup any cost.

That said...

Remington Hulls
Winchester Primers
WAAF114 Wad
1-1/4 ounces of number 5's
29 grains of Hodgdon Longshot

#14 ·
In my mind, a 12-gauge 2 3/4" 1 1/4-ounce load of #5 lead shot is probably the best all around lead pheasant reload you can put together. I've gathered a good many pheasants, prairie chickens, sharptails and ducks (back in the lead days) with a 1 1/4-ounce load using Unique.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers (that I've posted before) with my gun/chokes to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get with that load.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (WAACF, W209, UNIQUE, CB1114-12)
1 1/4 oz #5 lead (210 pellets) @ 1220 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 145 (69%)
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 177 (84%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 155 (74%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 174 (83%)
50 YARDS / IM / pattern 125 (60%)

Good luck!

#19 ·
Here a new powder not many have tried yet. Winchester 572. Perfect for 1330 fps, 1 1/4 ounce of 6,5 or 4.
Six is my normal load but you can go big for late season. I use sixes for Kansas, Never know if its a rooster or quail. 5's and 4's are tough on quail.
572 works well in many other gauges. Check out the load data. It is a new powder and has only been out a few of years. Burns clean, meters well, and it always goes band even on a cold January morning in Iowa or Kansas. I'm working towards the end of my second bottle.

Good luck - shoot well.

#21 ·
BroncoFan do not be tempted by the dark side and factory loads. There is no finer accomplishment a man can achieve, than to capture his prey by the crafting of his own hands. It matters not, the frequency that you are afforded to pursue the prey nor the quantity bagged. Trout and fowl are meant to be brought to hand by the means of your own creation.
My father taught me to tie my own flies, my father in-law taught me to reload. I am eternally grateful to both for taking the time to educate me.

Live well my friend.

#22 ·
BroncoFan do not be tempted by the dark side and factory loads. There is no finer accomplishment a man can achieve, than to capture his prey by the crafting of his own hands. It matters not, the frequency that you are afforded to pursue the prey nor the quantity bagged. Trout and fowl are meant to be brought to hand by the means of your own creation.
My father taught me to tie my own flies, my father in-law taught me to reload. I am eternally grateful to both for taking the time to educate me.

Live well my friend.
Couldn’t agree more. Every big game animal for the past 10-15 years has been with my reloads. It makes sense for me to do the same with birds. I typically go through 5-6 boxes of bird loads a year. I already have everything to load them except powder and a bag of shot. So I don’t think I’ll save money but don’t think I’ll lose any either. Something I enjoy and will be worth the time/money for my personal satisfaction. And who knows, I’m always on the lookout for a deal on shot and may come across a bag of 4 or 5 that somebody has had sitting around and get a deal. If I didn’t already have all the equipment I wouldn’t start from scratch.

#29 ·
Wow ! That is speedy !
Have you ever put any of them on paper ?
I wouldn't think they'd pattern good, but you sure got me wonderin'... I'm curios.
Absolutely, they pattern great. I could shoot some photos and post them if you'd like to view. All my friends always ask for a few after seeing the results.
Speed Kills,
MG

#34 ·
Mg you sacrilegious old dog.
Your number two hunting load has. A Fed hull, a Rem wad, and a Win primer. What ever happened to straight hulls and straight wads. Is the R12L a straight wall hunting wad?
Anyway sounds like pretty good soup stirred with enough salt and Nickel Plated fives, it will put dinner in the pot.

#35 ·
Mg you sacrilegious old dog.
Your number two hunting load has. A Fed hull, a Rem wad, and a Win primer. What ever happened to straight hulls and straight wads. Is the R12L a straight wall hunting wad?
Anyway sounds like pretty good soup stirred with enough salt and Nickel Plated fives, it will put dinner in the pot.
Yes, you are correct. I didn't invent it.
Hodgdon did and man does it work.
MG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.