Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve only used 700x and clays for all of my target loads. I want to load up some pheasant loads for next year and would like to hear what powder folks prefer. These will be 2 3/4” shells and 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 oz shot.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I still favor Alliant "Bluedot" for 1/14 and 1 3/8 oz ounce hunting loads. I worked up loads using Hodgdon "Longshot" powder when introduced yet the pattering board showed Bluedot powder provided better pattering. My preferred hunting wads is the Winchester AA 12R which is still available from Claybuster as a Winchester clone. The Remington "12RP" wad is a alternate choice yet not much load data available for this wad. Shot size is Always.....Always...#5 Magnum.

My absolute favorite hunting powder was the discontinued "IMR-4756" ...made some killer 1 1/4 oz loads with high velocity and excellent pattering. I sill hording a pound of this powder.

I'm sure many pheasant loads will be shared here in a few days.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have longshot, pro reach and Unique for some of my hunting loads. I like pro reach for 1-3/8oz pheasant loads. And for a nice 1-1/4 oz load I use unique. I have use longshot for 1-1/2oz loads.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Loudshot

But I wouldn't waste your time.

As few hunting loads as you are likely to use, you won't recoup any cost.

That said...

Remington Hulls
Winchester Primers
WAAF114 Wad
1-1/4 ounces of number 5's
29 grains of Hodgdon Longshot

·
Registered
686 Posts
I’ve only used 700x and clays for all of my target loads. I want to load up some pheasant loads for next year and would like to hear what powder folks prefer. These will be 2 3/4” shells and 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 oz shot.
I used to load a lot of Herco for 1 and 1/4 oz loads and switched over completely to Longshot by Hodgdon. It's an excellent powder for hunting loads. ...very snappy and clean burning.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Loudshot

But I wouldn't waste your time.

As few hunting loads as you are likely to use, you won't recoup any cost.

That said...

Remington Hulls
Winchester Primers
WAAF114 Wad
1-1/4 ounces of number 5's
29 grains of Hodgdon Longshot
..couldn't agree more. For the very few boxes of shells shot while hunting, I'm miles ahead buying them off the shelf. Our local Scheels runs a sale each fall on Fiocchi 3 3/4 X 1 1/4 1330 fps; 4's, 5's, and 6's for $8.99 a box. They're excellent shells with more than enough knock down power.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In my mind, a 12-gauge 2 3/4" 1 1/4-ounce load of #5 lead shot is probably the best all around lead pheasant reload you can put together. I've gathered a good many pheasants, prairie chickens, sharptails and ducks (back in the lead days) with a 1 1/4-ounce load using Unique.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers (that I've posted before) with my gun/chokes to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get with that load.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (WAACF, W209, UNIQUE, CB1114-12)
1 1/4 oz #5 lead (210 pellets) @ 1220 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 145 (69%)
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 177 (84%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 155 (74%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 174 (83%)
50 YARDS / IM / pattern 125 (60%)

Good luck!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In my mind, a 12-gauge 2 3/4" 1 1/4-ounce load of #5 lead shot is probably the best all around lead pheasant reload you can put together. I've gathered a good many pheasants, prairie chickens, sharptails and ducks (back in the lead days) with a 1 1/4-ounce load using Unique.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers (that I've posted before) with my gun/chokes to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get with that load.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (WAACF, W209, UNIQUE, CB1114-12)
1 1/4 oz #5 lead (210 pellets) @ 1220 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 145 (69%)
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 177 (84%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 155 (74%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 174 (83%)
50 YARDS / IM / pattern 125 (60%)

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. That IC percentage at 30 yards surprised me.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here a new powder not many have tried yet. Winchester 572. Perfect for 1330 fps, 1 1/4 ounce of 6,5 or 4.
Six is my normal load but you can go big for late season. I use sixes for Kansas, Never know if its a rooster or quail. 5's and 4's are tough on quail.
572 works well in many other gauges. Check out the load data. It is a new powder and has only been out a few of years. Burns clean, meters well, and it always goes band even on a cold January morning in Iowa or Kansas. I'm working towards the end of my second bottle.

Good luck - shoot well.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Longshot and a once fired double AA red hull. Just seems right dropping a couple of red Winchester hulls in the tubes and hearing thunk, thunk. As close as I can get to times past. 1 3/8 of 6's or 5's my choice for pheasant. Wild birds over a couple of setters.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts