Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Really, anything will work as long as you dont think about it. people worry too much about the load thy are using and as a result it affects their scores, and they blame it on the load.

The best one is the one that works for you. Everyone is going to give you a different answer for this. My favorite handicap load is basically anything 1200fps with 7.5 or 8 shot, I've even had some decent scores with 1145fps. I really like the wal mart federals though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I meant to add in my previous post that my recipe is 18 grains of promo, wt12 wad, nobel sport primer, and homemade #8 shot. As you can see, i go with pretty much the cheapest stuff i can get my hands on lol. This is my load for everyhting.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Look at Hodgdon's website for 1-1/8 ounce loads using Remington hulls and Titegroup powder.

Their load data calls for a Remington Figure 8 wad, but I use a Downrange DRRT-12 as a substitute.

I like this load a lot.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
MIA, The claybusters seem to leave more plastic in the choke. The original Windjammers and the Downrange clones are better in that respect. I like the Downrange clones the best.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My favorite round is whatever is in my shell pouch...as long as it isn't a Winchester shell. Remmy's, Estates, or my own reloads. I shoot anything 1200FPS 1-1/8th ounce. 7.5 shot in the winter, 7.5 or 8 in summer. Currently shooting 17.5 grains of 700x- Windjammer-STS Primer-STS hulls-7.5 West Coast shot. It's a load I'm becoming quite happy with. I will go back to Clay's powder when this is gone... Much cleaner burning and like MIA.. I have yet to have a problem with plastic build up in any of my guns.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
I prefer a 1250 fps 1 1/8 oz load. I have had great results with three tablespoons of Unique. LOL

Mild shooting, low pressure, boils birds quickly.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Qustion if you use a TGT-12 or Downrange clone for a 11/8 oz load, the shot is above the shot cup. Will this cause any problems?

Lou

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
"the shot is above the shot cup. Will this cause any problems?"

No

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
All my loads (really only two different) are built on green dot in GM plastic cases using real 12S3 wads. I do not believe anything faster than 1200 fps is required!

·
Registered
84 Posts
STS Hull, 20.0 grains of Green Dot with a Figure 8 wad and Win. 209 primer and 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's. I agree with Pheasantmaster, no need for anything faster than 1200 FPS. In 2008, I shot 4400 Handicap Targets and carried a 91 average with this load from the 27 yard line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.