Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what your favorite deer hunting caliber was? Mine is the
7mm STW with a 140 grain nosler accubond and 75.5 grains of IMR 7828. Shoots flat out to 250 yds.

brendan

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
All depends on where ya are gonna be hunting. That combo would be useless in the Pineywoods of East Texas. Trusty ole 30-06 is hard to beat all around.

Gne J

·
Registered
167 Posts
It used to be a .280 in a rem 700 mountain rifle until I got a Howa in 6.5x55.
I became recoil-sensitive in my old age.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I use the .50 caliber Hornady 300gr XTP Sabot with (2) 50gr Hodgdon pellets in my muzzleloader or 300gr Hornady SST 12ga shotgun slugs in my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. Sometime i use my T/C Contender(pistol) in .44 mag but i do not have any special or favorite loads.

I'm in Illinois and like alot of flat states we are only allowed shotgun, muzzleloader or pistol during firearms season. Sure would like to use a rifle but my muzzy is the closest thing to that for me.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The 30-06 is my favorite. I like a Remington 180 grain PSP Core Lokt. I like heavy for caliber bullets because many of my shots have been quartering shots in cover, not a classic broadside shot in the open.

In Kentucky, 100 yards is a long shot. For heavy cover, I like the .35 Remington with a Remington 200 grain SP Core Lokt. The .35 Remington is considered by some to be a "brush buster". This means a condition in which most shots will be at close range, not where the bullet will travel through brush and push the brush out of the way.

At 25 yards, the .35 Remington is already 35 caliber and the heavy soft nose bullet at 2000 fps will mushroom and transfer a lot of energy into thin skinned game. My experience is that a short range shot with a .35 Remington really knocks deer down and, properly hit, they rarely travel more than a few yards.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
45-70.

In smokeless, the factory Federal 300 gr JHP does an excellent job.

My preference though, is for handloads using blackpowder and a 500 grain cast bullet, basically duplicating the old Trapdoor load.

Rifle of choice: Browning 1886 rifle or carbine (have both) for blackpowder or smokeless. Marlin 1895 for smokeless only.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Monday-32 Win Spl, Tuesday-30/06, Wednesday-30/30 Thursday-35 Rem., Friday-348 Win. Saturday-243 Win., Sunday I'm tired from carrying all this iron around so I carry a 25/20 Win.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
25-20 is a great small game cartridge. I shoot blackpowder loads with cast bulelts in my ancient Winchester 1892 takedown rifle.

·
Registered
229 Posts
458 Win Mag just in case of a they charge me.

Seriously, 243 Winchester or 6mm Remington will take a whitetail down at ranges out to 800+ yards if you can read the wind and dope your rifle. For clear shots at short range they are great.
308 and most of its variants are all you ever need for deer.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.