Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is, if you had to replace an improved modified invector plus choke in a 30” barrel what would your choice of manufacturer be and would it matter if it is flush or extended. Thanks to anyone with input.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Get a Briley Spectrum and be done with it. Don't get sold by all the smoke and mirrors gimic chokes. Briley has been in the business of chokes for years.

The Briley Spectrum is an extended choke. It's easier to put in and take out and helps protect the end of your barrel from accidental dings like hitting the ground. Chokes are easier to replace than the end of your barrel.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I second Briley. Although I use the Helix line/model. Tonight I used a Müller & it may be my new favorite.

I also agree to go with an extended style just for the fact of barrel protection.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure you're going to get a million different combinations/answers on this thread. Spend some time at the patterning board or just on practice rounds to find your best combination.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I shoot a Briley extended on my XT and have had great luck and success with it so far, I forget what style it is though.

·
Registered
480 Posts
IMO, Carlson's choke tubes are as good as any made--All of 'em I have Mic'ed have been spot-on as far as their Constrictions go, they have all been CONCENTRIC, they are threaded correctly and are well-finished--All at a CONSIDERABLE SAVINGS over some of the other Brands available--What's not to like?... :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Browning does Not rate their chokes by constriction like every other manufacturer does. Browning rates their chokes by pattern percentages and consequently their chokes are often more open than others. I have a Browning Invector choke tube that is labeled as IM but only measures .020 constriction. I had to buy another mfgrs Full Choke in order to shoot Handicap, the Browning so called Full was not tight enough. .

·
Registered
18,686 Posts
Browning does Not rate their chokes by constriction like every other manufacturer does. Browning rates their chokes by pattern percentages and consequently their chokes are often more open than others. I have a Browning Invector choke tube that is labeled as IM but only measures .020 constriction. I had to buy another mfgrs Full Choke in order to shoot Handicap, the Browning so called Full was not tight enough. .
Whereas my Briley Spectrum choke labeled LM ( 0.015 ) made ink from 27 yard line in my Ultra XT invector plus gun. That was tight enough to get me on the State Team the first year back. Bought the full ' spectrum ' of chokes from IC to XF ended up shooting the LM for everything but Handi and LF for Handi and second shot Dubs.

Shot Cheyenne one May with two friends and a local pickup on the squad. We went 400 x 400 and that LM hung such dense dark smoke clouds the EPA came over from F.E.Warren to check air pollution levels. ( kidding, smoke was dense though ) I think Darrell Farr was shooting his 0.20 and Joe Leta was shooting his 0.20 as well in their Perazzis but I don't recall knowing what the other fellow used for choke. He did remark that it had been 19 years since his last 100 straight though.

Point being that rigid dogmatic adherence to a choke number might or might not be right for everyone. The only way to find THE choke is a LOT of pattern work and then a lot of shooting to make sure the center of the pattern is on the target. The XF choke didn't pattern much different than did the LF which was only slightly tighter than the LM at 32 measured yards from the muzzle.

Reactions: hbar314

·
Registered
291 Posts
From my limited data set (Beretta Mobil and Browning Invector Plus) our Carlson's have shown to be true to spec. Given they are not the most expensive, I count that as a bonus. All my choke tubes are extended for the following reasons......A.) easy to change & B.) offers some barrel protection in the event of an inadvertent mishap.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have Carlson, Briley Spectrm and Muller. The all work well but I have had the best results with the Muller chokes. If you have the opportunity try each of the chokes and see what works best for your gun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thank everyone for there input. The tip for extended choke tubes protecting the barrel is great since my 14 year old granddaughter will be using it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts