Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He said all he really wanted to do is construct farm machinery.

I guess circumstances leads a lot of us on different paths than what we intended..

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
His gun killed more Americans than any other in recent history. Hardly a life accomplishment to honor. God Bless America!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Spoons don't make people fat.

If I heard that gun downrange today, the hair on the back of my neck would still stand up...

Chip

·
5,253 Posts
I had the privilege to meet Kalashnikov at the SHOT Show back a few years back... you cannot deny the genius in the simplicity and durability of that design...

Jay

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
"This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy, and it makes a very distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it."

·
Registered
303 Posts
I represented Boker knives at the Shot show several years back and they had a Kalishnikov Knife. Much to my surpass, the first morning of the show Gen Kalishnikov comes into the booth in a full Russian Generals uniform with his "nurse". She also translated..

They started the morning off with a toast of Stoli from the 5 bottles in the cooler. He would sign posters for about a half hour then go rest with a Stoli or two in the back.

It dawned on me that here is the guy who invented the rifle that killed more Americans than anyone and also more people than anyone. Again it was not him pulling the trigger but could not believe I was in his presence.

After a few more Stolis in the afternoon, he was beet red faced. No wonder he lived until 94. I wonder if the "nurse" was still with him.

Bob Gibson
Charlotte, NC

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
AK was the most copied and produced rifle in the world.

Like trap, it's inexpensive and easy to utilize. That's why we have more trap shooters than other shotgun sports, and more AK than AR in the world.

And BTW, American cigarettes killed more American than any other products, foreign or domestic.

Heaven forbid, if our civilization shall fall, and no surplus parts readily available, I'd pick AK over AR if I can have only one firearm to use.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He didn't do anything different than what any red-blooded American would do for his country.

Kinda like some of these drones flying around the world and our own country to boot.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
He was badly injured in WWII while in a tank. He could no longer fight the Germans so he started trying to improve the weapons that the Russians were using. The Russians only had real crude weapons and only about 1 in 3 even had a gun to fight the Germans. His main goal was to develop something that was dependable at all times and all conditions. The US on the other hand, waited a number of years before they started making M16's that were far from dependable in bad conditions when originally developed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
While somewhat irreverent especially considering the time of year, what the heck? He was a dedicated communist so I guess it's OK to poke a little fun at him...

Mash the link above for an article (fake but funny) about his death.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Germans developed what became known as the Sturmgewehr 44 in 1942, and built/used it through the end of the war. It was full auto, 7.92mm, with a wood stock and pistol grip, and it was made from stamped sheet metal parts with loose tolerances.

The man who designed it was Hugo Schmeisser. Hugo was captured by the Russians in 1945, forced to work on weapons designs, and not allowed to go back to Germany until 1952.

Copy and paste this url, take a look, what is your first impression?

http://worldwar2headquarters.com/HTML/weapons/german/sturmgewehr-44-assault-rifle.html

All Kalashnikov basically did was take the Sturmgewehr 44 and copy it, change some small things to try to improve it and tweaked the cartridge a little bit. He ended up with a full auto 7.62mm with a wood stock and pistol grip made from stamped sheet metal parts with loose tolerances.

The things that he changed were the locking lug, using John Garands design instead of Schmeissers, the trigger and safety group where he used John Brownings design instead of Schmeissers, and a rotating bolt instead of a tilting bolt, which may well have been one of Schmeissers designs while a Russian captive, and of course the cartridge. Is that really weapons design or is it just being a good tool & die maker/gunsmith?

There were other German weapons experts that were captured. All of them, including Hugo, were located in the same weapons factory that Kalashnikov worked in. There are some that believe that they did ALL of the work, and it was simply credited to Kalashnikov because how could Stalin claim to have the worlds best rifle when it was designed by Germans?

I'm not knocking the gun, but let's be clear about something: Mikhail Kalashnikov was no John Browning, nor was he even a Eugene Stoner or John Garand.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
And yet, about eighty bazillion GERMAN NAZI MADE Mausers became the favored toy of the men and sons that they were shot at. You can rationalize that any way you like.

Just way strange for gun people to slide right over to the anti's side because you give the thing a Commie taint. MK fought against the Nazis. No matter what else he did/didn't do pales against that.

You might want to re-look at the 'toon that Steve posted above.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A lot of the worlds best designs for anything came from tweaking previous attempts in a given area. Call it what you like. I am a mechanical designer myself. I start with other peoples stuff all day, every day. No need to re-invent the wheel with every project. Thats how its done. Its efficient and it works.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And our space program came from???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts