Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
My opinion for what its worth is that both barrels on an o/u should shoot to the same POI. Additionally, if you also have a single barrel as part of a combo, it should also. Now when you get headed towards the back fence, the 24 may require you to start raising your POI for handicap.
My double barrels do have the same POI as proven and tested at 13 yards. my question is, do most trap doubles shooters set up their doubles guns to have the same POI as their 16yard singles gun?

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Shotguns are not rifles. Sighting plane is meaningless for a shotgun. And the rest of that drivel is not even up to Hogwarts math and physics.

My God, People!!! Do you make up everything in your life?

Just because you think it doesn't make it real

Just because you believe it doesn't make it true
I sure would like to have some of that good stuff you been smoking. You mean to tell us that the lead is different on a shotgun with a 26 inch barrel and one with a 34 inch barrel in the skeet game? If so, what length barrel would one need to not have to use any lead at all? I want one of those for sure.
something around 22yds or so

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Mirage-- Since you shot Skeet for some time you must be used to a Flat shooting gun. Say 60/40 or so. I see no reason to change a thing. There is No Reason to have more than one sight picture to break the same target in any game you wish to shoot. Skeet, Trap, or Sporting Clays. Break the target with the same POI and for-get-about-it. Why make the change to Trap harder on yourself. Listen to Pheasentmaster. Keep the same POI on both your O/U and your Single barrel handicap gun. Once you hit the 24 yard line in handicap you may, or may not have to raise the POI to get back to the 27. Worry about that, if and when the time comes. Good Luck with your journey in Trap and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mirage-- Since you shot Skeet for some time you must be used to a Flat shooting gun. Say 60/40 or so. I see no reason to change a thing. There is No Reason to have more than one sight picture to break the same target in any game you wish to shoot. Skeet, Trap, or Sporting Clays. Break the target with the same POI and for-get-about-it. Why make the change to Trap harder on yourself. Listen to Pheasentmaster. Keep the same POI on both your O/U and your Single barrel handicap gun. Once you hit the 24 yard line in handicap you may, or may not have to raise the POI to get back to the 27. Worry about that, if and when the time comes. Good Luck with your journey in Trap and break em all. Jeff
P&M, my skeet gun shot dead flat 50/50, as most targets are actually falling. presently my trap single gun is 12" high at 30 yards, and I reside at the 24 yard line. My though process is that since the first target in doubles is shot very close and very steep, does one need a higher POI to hit this target especially if we "trap" it with as little upward movement as possible. Just wanted to poll the masses on what seems to be conventional wisdom?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I shot trap singles for 5-6 yrs with a 34" unsingle never having an O/U set of barrels. I purchased a combo set figuring on using the 32" O?U for singles and doubles.
To my surprise when I went to the 32" O/U barrel I was dropping a lot of targets that I normally don't miss. These were mainly the hard angles from post 1 & 5.
I am a right handed shooter and while on post #1 one day I got a hard left and thought I had over run it but the target exploded. For me I had to definitely extend my lead on the hard rights and lefts from stations 1 & 5. Went back to the 34" on singles and my scores returned. I do not shoot skeet so can not relate to that. This is just my personal experience and not any scientific testing.

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
P&M, my skeet gun shot dead flat 50/50, as most targets are actually falling. presently my trap single gun is 12" high at 30 yards, and I reside at the 24 yard line. My though process is that since the first target in doubles is shot very close and very steep, does one need a higher POI to hit this target especially if we "trap" it with as little upward movement as possible. Just wanted to poll the masses on what seems to be conventional wisdom?
So I'll ask you this, is your second bird close to peaking or actually falling before you typically shoot it?

Now for your poll, both barrels on my o/u shoot 13" high for me.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Its how you want to shoot the 2nd shot that you need to worry about, not the first. The first bird is shot in a trapped style with little to no gun movement. Its the second bird, you need to shoot it before it starts to fall. So Like Pheasantmaster asked is it still rising, or are you shooting the bird at its peek. If its falling your gonna need your flat shooting gun to break those. If its still rising, I'd match the POI of your singles gun at 10 inches to keep the same sight picture as your singles gun. Remember the KISS system, Keep it simple stupid. Works for me. Good Luck and break em all> Jeff

·
Registered
126 Posts
Its how you want to shoot the 2nd shot that you need to worry about, not the first. The first bird is shot in a trapped style with little to no gun movement. Its the second bird, you need to shoot it before it starts to fall. So Like Pheasantmaster asked is it still rising, or are you shooting the bird at its peek. If its falling your gonna need your flat shooting gun to break those. If its still rising, I'd match the POI of your singles gun at 10 inches to keep the same sight picture as your singles gun. Remember the KISS system, Keep it simple stupid. Works for me. Good Luck and break em all> Jeff
the second target is still rising. Thanks for the help guys, be well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I was in the local gun shop today and had Tommy hand me XT Trap's with 30 and 32 inch barrles while I kept my eyes closed. I could easily tell the difference. The longer barrels swung smoother but slower, the 30's were much quicker.

I think for me to get to the second target quicker I will look for 30" barrels. I don't think the targets will tell the difference.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts