Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what length for a o/u doubles gun? It seems I see a lot of 30 in. guns, is that an advantage over 32?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Length depends the shooters stature and if he or she can comfortably manage a given barrel length is the first considerations then other considerations come into play such as the guns intended use. The mainstream barrel length into days shooting world, trap, skeet. sporting clays is 30"with 28" and 32" falling on either side. The advantage of 32" barrels has to do with sighting plane and geometry allowing a shorter move to the target. From my view a good place to start are 30" barrels, but the best answer is always what fits and works best for you.

Surfer

·
Registered
770 Posts
Within reason, the weight, weight distribution and resulting balance of the shotgun are more important than the actual length of the barrels. As many people on this forum have recommended, try to shoot examples of shotguns you think you'd like to own, focusing on the length of barrel and how it affects your move to the target. -Ed

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Unless you are physically unique...you already know the truth. There's a reason 30" barrels are so popular. I'm generally inclined to go with the proven winner myself, but maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
As dead on 4 said, longer sighting plane, added weight if you think you are moving to fast to target, I shoot 30" but would really like to try a 32" to see the difference first hand, 30" is most common

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Having barrels with the right POI for shooting doubles targets is more
important than barrel length. HMB

·
Registered
909 Posts
I started with a 30" barrel Beretta. I now shoot CGs with 32" barrels for my O/U and a 34" barrel for my unsingle. Works much better for me. Try different lengths and see what works for you. However, don't try it for 5 shots and then make a decision. Takes at least several boxes to make an evaluation IMHO.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
The advantage of 32" barrels has to do with sighting plane and geometry allowing a shorter move to the target.
Pure BS! You left out that you're 2" closer to the target.

The one that has the advantage is the one that works best for you. Hype and trendy have no advantage except for resale.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
My results have always been better with 32" barrels. Maybe because I started shooting doubles with a 32" barrel Citori trap. Tried a 30" barrel a for a while, and it just was different. I also shot my first round of skeet with that 32" barreled Citori. Shot a 23. Have not shot skeet that well since, even though it was only maybe four or five times. Should have seen the faces on the skeeters when I told them I never shot skeet before, then on top of it I was using what looked like a foot longer barrel than they were.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
semperfi909,
Think you better review your used oats comment, never said anything about being closer to the target only longer length gives a longer slighting plane changes the geometry when moving to the target which it does. This is the reason many skeet shooters American and international alike have switched to longer barrels first moving from 26" to 28" then 28" to 30" and now 32". Each successive progression to longer barrels has reduced the amount of lead to break the target because of triangulation.

Surfer

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
It only makes a difference in your mind. Most target shooters are going to longer and longer barrels these days. Skeet has gone from 26 & 28 to 30 inches now. Trap has gone almost all to 32 inch. for O/U's and Sporting Clays are all 32 inch with many now going to the 34 inch O/U's now. The 2 1/2 oz's or so of weight are only slightly noticed and are easy to get used. The reason most shooters keep going longer??? is the longer sighting plane of the barrel. If you plan on selling it down the road you'll likely take a hit on price trying to sell a 30 inch Trap O/U doubles gun, just like you would trying to sell a 32 inch barrel singles trap gun, over a 34 inch barrel singles trap gun. As we get older it gets harder to shooter the longer barrels, so keep that in mind. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

Surfer--------------- Please enlighten me on how a longer barrel can reduce the lead on a crossing Skeet Target!!!! I would like to hear about this theory in detail.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Surfer, this is where Neil would say "show your work."

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
32 is more popular in trap and should be easier to resell when the time comes. Just like 34 is more popular with the single barrel. It really comes down to a personal choice but I like 32.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I'm regurgitating an article I read somewhere in the late 80's or early 90's about barrel lengths an how a longer barrel closed the distance between the target and the sight line because of triangulation. Supposedly is this concept is the cause for longer barrels trap and skeet alike. I do know this, I make a much shorter move to the target on skeet passing shots with a 32" barrel than a 26". I would like hear what Neil has to say also.

Surfer

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Each successive progression to longer barrels has reduced the amount of lead to break the target because of triangulation.

Surfer
I sure would like to have some of that good stuff you been smoking. You mean to tell us that the lead is different on a shotgun with a 26 inch barrel and one with a 34 inch barrel in the skeet game? If so, what length barrel would one need to not have to use any lead at all? I want one of those for sure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The lead never changes unless your relative position on the field to the target changes. Longer Barrels in skeet definitely changes perspective in that the bead ( in you peripheral) seems to be closer on plane with the target. There becomes a point of diminishing returns however on weight and the ability to swing the gun, especially in a close range game like skeet with lots of gun movement. Wayne Mayes used to routinely say, if you are over 6' tall you can probably handle a 30" barrel, but what he really meant is it's a personal issue, whatever works best.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Having barrels with the right POI for shooting doubles targets is more
important than barrel length. HMB
I am a recent crossover from Skeet to trap. I had a reasonable amount of success in skeet and now want to see if I can get to the same level in trap. I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge on the way up ( and Back). I am struggling with doubles and wanted to ask, is it reasonable to have the POI of you doubles guns to match that of your singles? or am I missing a vital secret?

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
I am a recent crossover from Skeet to trap. I had a reasonable amount of success in skeet and now want to see if I can get to the same level in trap. I am thoroughly enjoying the challenge on the way up ( and Back). I am struggling with doubles and wanted to ask, is it reasonable to have the POI of you doubles guns to match that of your singles? or am I missing a vital secret?
My opinion for what its worth is that both barrels on an o/u should shoot to the same POI. Additionally, if you also have a single barrel as part of a combo, it should also. Now when you get headed towards the back fence, the 24 may require you to start raising your POI for handicap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts