Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
What is the fascination about shooting a trap target right out of the house? I've been trapshooting since 1970 and I have seen some very fast shooters shooting all three events with blazing speed.

What is interesting is that some of the best trapshooters of all time did not shoot what I would call, extremely fast. I have asked some of the all time greats over the years about shooting fast and a good number of these shooters wish they could actually slow down a bit as their misses sometime occur by shooting a target to fast.

What's ironic is that a good number of veteran trapshooters use full chokes. I would think it would be better to use your pattern on 16 yard targets and not shoot extremely fast. I have seen newer trapshooters try to emulate some of the fast shooting all Americans which usually results in poor scores.

I think newer shooters fail to understand that veteran trapshooters are not intentionally shooting fast as years of experience has increased their speed of breaking a target.

Any advantage of breaking targets at warp speed compared to using your pattern to break targets?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Steve,
You can shoot targets at warp speed and still use a big pattern to break the target.
All you have to do is change the choke in your gun. In doubles I trap the first target
and hit it five yards out of the house. I use a skeet choke(.008) for that shot with 1 oz
of 9s. I bet that pattern is just as big as your full choke at 40 yards. HMB

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Everyone has their own timing and tempo. A fast shooter really can't slow it down much without causing other problems. If you have good eyes and fast reflexes you'll be a quick shooter without even trying. The main thing is being smooth and consistent on every bird.

·
Banned
495 Posts
How many of the top doubles shooters have you seen that track the first target? It is not just the speed, you must stay aggressive to shoot good doubles. Doubles is not a hard game, it is a little different than singles and handicap. Mistakes are magnified when made. Trapping the target is a myth. There is still gun movement made. Roger C.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Shooting fast, but under control, is an advantage when shooting in the wind. Which occurs in my part of the country almost every day that ends in the letter y.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see shooting doubles with lightening speed. One time at the Grand in Ohio I saw a young man break double targets with absolute authority and where he broke them I'd just start locking on to the target. Shooting fast at long yardage handicap may have it's advantages? But shoot lightening speed at 16 yards to me has many drawbacks. it looks impressive but for most it will not take long before you hear, "lost", just my personal opinion.
Steve

duckman:
I agree with you.
Steve

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Fast shooters have an advantage when shooting from the fence, and just carry that technique forward on the pad. Slow shooters can get away with doing it for singles, but are less successful as they move back. Best to be consistent, in your setup and pace. It's always easier to hit something closer rather than farther away. Choke accordingly.

·
Banned
151 Posts
As bird flying away, it takes longer time for that shot to get to it, this need more aim lead

And this is why 27 yard usually need faster load

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Like a poi that works best for you.
We each have a speed that works best.

Some are faster then others.

It's all good.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I watched some newer shooters at the local club trying to shoot faster than their natural ability allowed them and it was a complete disaster. I told them after they get more targets under their belt the speed will eventually come and they will be more in control.
Steve

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
As bird flying away, it takes longer time for that shot to get to it, this need more aim lead
LOL. The target is slowing down at an increasing rate. Do people shoot the right hand target a lot further out than the left? How much further out would that target have to be to require aother foot of lead?

Further, there is no material difference in the pattern placement between an 1145 load and a 1250 load on a 27 yard target. The lead required is basically the same. Plenty of examples of the math of that in other threads.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think newer shooters fail to understand that veteran trapshooters are not intentionally shooting fast as years of experience has increased their speed of breaking a target.
+1 for this theory.

I know this is the case for me personally. I know I shoot faster now over the years & also since taking up Doubles about 2 decades ago. I still get a kick out of watching folks shoot Doubles for the first time(s) & somehow manage to break that second target when it's about 2 feet off the ground!

Happy Shooting!
-Larry, Founder
www.ClaysForACure.org
Clays for a Cure | Facebook

·
Registered
610 Posts
I shoot pretty fast, I think it a focus thing where the longer it's out there it messes with me. i should really work on it, since when I miss a few birds I get frustrated and than shoot faster which losses more birds.

·
Banned
151 Posts
LOL. The target is slowing down at an increasing rate. Do people shoot the right hand target a lot further out than the left? How much further out would that target have to be to require aother foot of lead?

Further, there is no material difference in the pattern placement between an 1145 load and a 1250 load on a 27 yard target. The lead required is basically the same. Plenty of examples of the math of that in other threads.
Two cases
1, shooter fire 1 second after bird left the house, at which time the bird is 20 yard from the house . 20 yard is a hypithetical number

2, Shooter fires 2 seconds after bird left the house, at which time the bird is 30 yard from the house. 30 yard is less than double of 20 yards, i.e. , bird is slowing down

It this take longer time for Shooter 2'a shot to get to the target.

About the shot speed and patten, the comparison should be "1145 fps , 50 yard" vs "1200 fps, 40 yard". The key here is that 50 yard > 40 yards, while in reality it maybe 42 yard vs 41 yard.

It just take the slower shot longer distance to catch the target than the faster shot.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The longer I take to shoot a clay, the more I think about what I'm doing...
The more I think about what I'm doing, the more often I miss the target

The faster I shoot, the more I rely on my sub-conscience to let my mind/body do its thing
The more I rely on my sub-conscience to let my mind/body do its thing, the more I crush clays

I shoot as fast as I can, but no faster ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts