Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow really disappointed in the turn out for the Fall Classic at WSRC this year! Why did so few attend? It's a shame wonderful facility with obviously tons of room and camping!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Let's see, I live 30 miles from there & wasn't really aware they were having it. You just can't run a facility the way it is being run, on again - off again craps a turn off. I believe most feel like "I'll see you at the Grand & other than that- forget it". Nobody in their right mind would run a business like that except for the government.
Rauner may have the right ideas but he sure is going about it the wrong way - IMO! (& I voted for him too) Colonel

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I live less than 10 minutes from the WSRC trap line and I have always been a vocal supporter of the facility. That said, had my buddy not called me and asked me to shoot on his squad a day before the shoot started, I would have not known the shoot was even being held that weekend. If there was advertising of the shoot, I sure didn't get it, see it or hear about it. They should be thankful for the shooters they had operating that way.

I heard some guy from Sparta won the caps event on Friday. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was there. Stayed on the grounds in my camper. Basically had around 8 squads on Friday for all events and 8-10 squads for events on Saturday and Sunday. The weather forecast might have played a factor in attendance as well, although it did not rain on us during any of the shooting. Rain moved in to the area around 5pm Friday night and it got really interesting for a few minutes when the wind picked up and the rain became horizontal. Sat began overcast but improved all day. Sunday was overcast again. I shot quite well for this shoot. They gave away AA Tracker shells again :( but i carried out almost 5 cases. I tied with Randy Miller for HAA and won since he had gone home. Glad he did as he would probably have trimmed my ass in any shootoff! I felt targets where set well, at least on the bank I shot on and everyone was friendly.

T. Jones

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shot good on Friday won my class that day. That was the high point ! Had a bad case or headamus-rectumus......next two days. Advertised on ATA sight, got e-mails like most ATA shoots in my area. I would like to see it be a big shoot like Linn Creek is, absolutely no reason for it not to be. Is the IDNR in charge or is it ISTA or is it ATA I sure dont know, if its lack of advertising then whoever it is needs to step that game up and get it rolling.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I shot good on Friday won my class that day. That was the high point ! Had a bad case or headamus-rectumus......next two days. Advertised on ATA sight, got e-mails like most ATA shoots in my area. I would like to see it be a big shoot like Linn Creek is, absolutely no reason for it not to be. Is the IDNR in charge or is it ISTA or is it ATA I sure dont know, if its lack of advertising then whoever it is needs to step that game up and get it rolling.
There was a time it was a much better attended shoot. At that time it was well promoted and trophies were nice along with added money. They use to print a shoot booklet with the day's events etc. It was also a 4 day shoot then. I have shoot pins from those early well attended Fall Classics. It is situated on the calendar where the traveling crowd could swing through Sparta and shoot the Fall Classic on their way to the Missouri Fall Handicap at Linn Creek. It's gotten to where it isn't worth it for those folks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I shot the handicap on Sunday. I started out really well for me 23,24 then the wheels came off and I ended with an 85. I then went to a meat shoot and burned up a bunch of copper 6's and blue dot shooting off the concrete. My shoulder is still stiff. No bacon, but a good time none the less.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I posted the program on the Shoot Information board. I posted on September 3 because as usual, Sparta programs are usually not available until shortly before the event. I had hoped to go but I didn't end up making it. I was one of seven shooters at the loftily named Midwest Skeet Classic held at the WSRC in June of this year.

I don't know the roles of everyone, but I think the ATA and the Illinois State Trapshooters Association (or the respective skeet or sporting clays organizations) need to step in and make extra effort to promote these shoots at this premiere facility. The complex is open for events sponsored by organizations who need to take the lead. The facility staff will not do enough for promotion and the organizations that benefit from a multi-million dollar state funded facility need to step up and make sure they have events to be proud of at their flagship complex.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts