Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this for a friend who has the opportunity to purchase a Superposed from one of his colleagues, at this writing we are unsure as to wether the seller has the original box, or what he wants, just that he might be interested in selling.

The gun is a 1972 manufacture Browning Superposed Lighting Trap with Broadway rib and 32" barrels. This is a grade 1 gun. Numbers match, original recoil pad, stock has not been cut, and overall appearance, I would estimate it at 85% condition. It locks up tight, with the tang lever still locking to the right of center. It's been used, but not abused.

Most of my books are dated info and would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Derek

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
A better buy would be a "pre salt" era gun in higher condition. Broadways are not sought by collectors and you should be able to find a near new one for a good price.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Price would also depend on how the gun is choked, Full and Full would be a harder sell than IM and Full or Mod and Full. Without seeing the gun it is hard to estimate value but $800 to $1000 would be right in the ball park. I own 2 1972 Broadways.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I'm posting this for a friend who has the opportunity to purchase a Superposed from one of his colleagues, at this writing we are unsure as to wether the seller has the original box, or what he wants, just that he might be interested in selling.

The gun is a 1972 manufacture Browning Superposed Lighting Trap with Broadway rib and 32" barrels. This is a grade 1 gun. Numbers match, original recoil pad, stock has not been cut, and overall appearance, I would estimate it at 85% condition. It locks up tight, with the tang lever still locking to the right of center. It's been used, but not abused.

Most of my books are dated info and would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Derek

$900 if only 85%. Box means little for this condition.

·
5,064 Posts
Salt guns were typically higher grades... $1000 for a hand made O/U is a deal.

Even with nominal wear or handling marks, what is comparable? Bought a '65 in '87... have enjoyed it ever since! Paid $800 then...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Depends if it's a salt wood gun..
Made '66-72' , if the buttstock screws are rusted it's a saltwood gun. If not, it's worth more than what you probably would pay.
Don't know the worth, but wouldn't buy a saltwood gun..

·
Registered
209 Posts
I follow superposed values. A 72 Superposed is pretty low on the value list. 32" barrels help, but BroadWays have fallen out of favor with trapshooters and there is little demand for them. Full/Full, Full/ or Full/Mod are all about the same value, but if chokes have been opened it may hurt.

The year hurts. Most of the salt wood guns were in the 60's, but a 1972 gun is a possible salt wood gun. There are a lot of standard grade salt wood guns. If it shows no signs of salt wood on both the butt stock and fore end I would not worry about it, but others would and it hurts value. Any chance it was restocked by Browning? They repaired them for years at no cost. Call the historian at Browning and I think they will tell you.

Check carefully for a rib separation, particularly at the receiver. They are common and at least a $500 repair.

Superposeds have increased significantly in the last 2 or 3 years, but I think this is still a $1000 gun. Maybe a little less. You can find them listed on Guns International or Gun Broker for more. They stay listed a long time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the help everyone, I will pass the information along and see what he decides to do. Thank you.

Derek

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have bought and sold numerous Superposed Broadway Trap guns both Standard and Lighteing Models. They trade in the $750.00 to $1200.00 range depending on year built and condition. One thing to remember there is not a big market. for resale unless it is a higher grade gun. So if you buy it plan to keep it and use it. There have been some very good deals on TS but also a lot of over priced Superposed as well. As already advised stay away from salt wood guns. Closely inspect the rib and side ribs to make sure they haven't come loose. You can spend way more than the gun is worth if the ribs have to be resoldered and the gun reblued.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Mine is not a safe queen. And it's an ST-100 and I've been shooting it for doubles since 1980. I hope I never get to the point of needing to sell it. The plan is to pass it on to my son.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Several years ago I bought a Lightning (not a broadway trap) for $1,600.00. It was made in '64 and in 95+ condition and is a RNLT. I may have paid too much but the gun was so near mint that I couldn't let it g0.
George

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
FWIW, I bought a '64 Superposed Lightning with standard rib, Kik-eze pad (not my choice) and pretty fair original finish and wood two years ago for $850. Individual sale. I'm not unhappy with either the deal or the gun.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I absolutely loved the Broadway Superposed with 32" barrels and M/F chokes in Midas grade. If I would of had the money years ago I would have bought one. I'm always looking for a good deal on one but the ones on here seem to be too pricey for what they are actually worth. I agree they are not in demand but they are a well built shotgun. The salt problem followed by steel shot for hunting nearly killed the sales of these fine guns.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Bought a new Broadway in 1970 for $540. Still shooting it today. The only original parts still in use are the receiver & the forend wood. Over time I replaced the stock & the barrels. We're a great team, if I do my part then the gun does it's part.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Big Kahuna, your gun is the ultimate configuration in Superposed Trap guns if it has a hard butt. Even with a pad, it is close to the ultimate. What variation do you have? Mine is a mint hard butt gun. Unfortunately, the seller knew how rare these guns are and priced it accordingly. The hard butt guns were only made one or two years.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
My Superposed has a hard (proper) butt plate but it isn't marked trap. It's a field gun. Near perfect condition though.
George

1 - 20 of 28 Posts