Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't tested the two type wads on the pattern board.
Has anyone done so and seen an appreciable difference in patterns either on the pattern board or the clay target?
eg. Claybuster CB1118 versus Winchester WAA12 (Win. white 1 1/8 wads)

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
There won't be any difference in how they pattern.

Wads don't have much, if any, effect on patterns.

Reactions: RickN and llukesh

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
There won't be any difference in how they pattern.

Wads don't have much, if any, effect on patterns.
But according to most loading charts, there is a marked difference in pressure and velocity between various wads.

I'm no ballistic expert, but how can changing two other variables not affect the pattern in some way.

I know some have recommended not pushing velocities too fast, otherwise the pattern is blown.

Just askin', curious minds want to know.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
How can that be true ?? If it were there would be one wad for everything correct ???
There once was, still have a few of them. Remember those two piece wads, a deep deep cup with a collapsible insert that just crushed to fit any shot charge. They have disappeared for some reason, maybe because they made wad selection too easy.:1augen71::1augen71::1augen71:

·
Premium Member
7,019 Posts
Guys, it's possible that a wad swap might effect your pattern, I do not believe so and I'm not the expert.
Why doesn't someone try it. Grab a bunch of paper, load the factory wad in shell A. only changing the wad.
Then load shells B. & C. with the matching clone wad, only difference will be the wad.
Shoot 5 of each at paper and compare. You will then know if swapping to clone wads has any effect on your pattern.
My guess is NO.
Just my .02
MG

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
If you don't believe me, that's fine. But I challenge you to test it yourselves.

And by test, I mean really test it. None of this eyeballing a few patterns on a grease board.

Here's an example of a proper test that would tell you the truth. Note, very few people are willing to actually do a test like this because it's time consuming. But it's the only way to find the facts. And in the end, you will find that changing wads won't make a hill of beans difference in your pattern.

Pattern Testing Results - Four Guns, One with a Wilkinson Barrel

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
I agree with the previous posters. Load Velocity , Shot Hardness , and Choke is what affects patterns.
Regards , Pete
You can probably take velocity out of that list. For the velocities used in trap shooting, there's very little effect on patterns according to actual testing done by Neil Winston.

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
How can that be true ?? If it were there would be one wad for everything correct ???
Your Ford gets does everything my Chevy (or whatever brand) does. Why do we need both brands?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
No, different wads control pressure, fit and stack height.
MG
Comment below stolen from another reloading forum. Confusing to say the least. The tighter fit and stack height would normally result in higher pressure. Not what his guy experiences with using a tighter fitting wad in the same hull. There are many many variables that affect pressure and velocity, likely mostly the due operating the handle. Do they affect pattern? I suppose we all need to do our own testing. For now, if I have a tight looking crimp, I'm good to go, all else being according to the listed recipe.

================
I started loading the following recipe out of the BPI Advantages Manual:
Fiocchi hull
Fiocchi 616 primer
22 gr Clays / ClayDot
PT 1210 wad
1oz. 7.5 shot
10,600 PSI
1,335 FPS
The crimp was too dished for my liking so I dropped in an OS card, which made for a nice flat 6 pt crimp. I ran out of OS cards so instead of making more I dug out some PT 1232 wads.
The crimp was perfect without the OS cards. what has me perplexed is that by going to a taller wad the Manual indicates a drop of both pressure and velocity.
8,300 PSI and 1,285 all else being the same.
According to the wad specs the only difference is .01" deeper shot cup depth on the 1210 and the seal to cup bottom depth difference of .15", the 1232 being greater and of course the 1232 being.014 taller.
I would never have thought that such a small change in wad dimensions would have a > 2000 PSI efffect , especially less pressure with the taller wad.
Am I the only one that finds this surprising?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank-you for your input everyone.
The reason I posted this question is that the Win WAA wads are 33% higher in price than the Claybuster CB 1118.
Since there is no advantage in using the factory wads, which is approx $12, it seems like a total waste of money?

·
Premium Member
7,019 Posts
Comment below stolen from another reloading forum. Confusing to say the least. The tighter fit and stack height would normally result in higher pressure. Not what his guy experiences with using a tighter fitting wad in the same hull. There are many many variables that affect pressure and velocity, likely mostly the due operating the handle. Do they affect pattern? I suppose we all need to do our own testing. For now, if I have a tight looking crimp, I'm good to go, all else being according to the listed recipe.

================
I started loading the following recipe out of the BPI Advantages Manual:
Fiocchi hull
Fiocchi 616 primer
22 gr Clays / ClayDot
PT 1210 wad
1oz. 7.5 shot
10,600 PSI
1,335 FPS
The crimp was too dished for my liking so I dropped in an OS card, which made for a nice flat 6 pt crimp. I ran out of OS cards so instead of making more I dug out some PT 1232 wads.
The crimp was perfect without the OS cards. what has me perplexed is that by going to a taller wad the Manual indicates a drop of both pressure and velocity.
8,300 PSI and 1,285 all else being the same.
According to the wad specs the only difference is .01" deeper shot cup depth on the 1210 and the seal to cup bottom depth difference of .15", the 1232 being greater and of course the 1232 being.014 taller.
I would never have thought that such a small change in wad dimensions would have a > 2000 PSI efffect , especially less pressure with the taller wad.
Am I the only one that finds this surprising?
Have you measured the diameter of the two wads? I really mean measure down to .000, thousands?
You might a the difference that really matters .
MG

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
Thank-you for your input everyone.
The reason I posted this question is that the Win WAA wads are 33% higher in price than the Claybuster CB 1118.
Since there is no advantage in using the factory wads, which is approx $12, it seems like a total waste of money?
The only down side to this is Claybuster wads are notorious for leaving a lot of plastic fouling on choke tubes. Not really a big deal, as this is easily cleaned up with something like acetone, but it's worth noting.

Reactions: mg1polo
1 - 20 of 45 Posts