Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy some factory seconds from federal. Does anybody have any experience with seconds or "cut offs"? They are being sold at a fairly good deal. Should I pick some up or wait for the Winchester rebate to start?

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
I have the chance to buy some factory seconds from federal. Does anybody have any experience with seconds or "cut offs"? They are being sold at a fairly good deal. Should I pick some up or wait for the Winchester rebate to start?
I have never even heard of this before. Where and how did you come across this opportunity if your willing to say?

What exactly is it that you would be buying? Blemished rounds or what? Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I came across these locally. They are Federal gold medals. The seller explained to me that they didn't meet federals requirements for retail sale meaning either a blemish in the hull or something cosmetic. Gold medals here are selling for around 95.00 a flat and the seller wants 70.00

·
Super Moderator
5,300 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem. They'll typically be cosmetic defects. There certainly won't be anything wrong with them performance-wise or Federal wouldn't let them out of the factory.

Essentially the same as the XM-type 5.56 rounds that proliferate.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I have heard of these before. The seller claimed that they are called cut offs and many would suffer a hull separation from the base.Why anyone would shoot them is beyond me. I'm amazed that Federal would even let these out of the factory. I'd buy the ones that meet all of Federals standards. These were Federal Gold Medal trap loads being sold on Armslist by a guy in Utah.

·
Registered
14,096 Posts
$70/flat for seconds is not a deal, esp when you can get AAs for about $55-$60 after rebate, even less once you sell the hulls.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I smell a skunk in the wood pile. I have two cousins that retired recently from Federal and they said Federal discontinued selling shotshells with the boxes labeled as "seconds" a few years ago because some dishonest folks were buying them, then selling them, and they started showing up on some retailers shelves and not identified as "seconds". One should also be aware that Federal discontinued not too long ago the Gold Medal smooth hulls after some trouble with the hull/base separating and went back to the present ribbed hull.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
In all my years in this game I've never heard of 2nds being distributed by any of the front line guys. When they tend to stand_behind their ammo for any recognizable defects/failures, it would seem illogical for them to put something as such in the marketplace.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are things that probably don't matter all that much if they are just short of being perfect. But, I don't think anything involved in shooting that could really go badly
should be one of them. And...the stated price is hardly a bargain.

·
Banned
908 Posts
Like pheasantmaster....never heard of any ammo manufacturer offering seconds.
It would be contrary to their safety measures.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I think they are mixing them in with the good stuff?

I had a flat of Top Guns this winter were the crimps were all bulged at least six or seven a box.

They went bang I've had reloads that looked worse.

John

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Only seconds I've ever seen were from bullet manufacturers such as blems or off weight jacketed bullets. Never loaded shells..

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Bull Shit.....Federal sells factory seconds to it's employees on a regular basis. The boxes of loaded ammo is clearly marked so they don't end up as retail stock. The flats of Gold Medal were clearly marked cut offs. Just because some are too stupid to understand, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I was in a man's basement last fall that cases and cases of Federal loaded ammo marked reject and cut offs that his son gets from Federal because he works for them. They clearly mark it as reject and do sell it to employees. Federal doesn't take shit apart and try to salvage components they simply sell it to employees who understand what they are buying. If you think ANY COMPANY doesn't produce substandard products then I want some of what your smoking, because all companies produce scrap and substandard products.

I want to make it perfectly clear that I think Federal makes the best ammo in the USA. I would buy their ammo and I do use it without any concerns since the early 70's. All they make is ammo and are very good at it. I've toured their plant in the 70's in MN and was very impressed with what I saw. I was just trying to answer the original posters question and I did. Morons started jumping in clueless and now it turned into a anti Federal thread with stupid opinions based on stupid all knowing logic. That's where stupid people have an advantage on the probability of learning something new everyday. An empty brain is easy to feed.

Federal AMMO.JPG

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
You feel better now?

So, I assume Federal doesn't advocate those being distributed to the general public.

·
Banned
908 Posts
Hey MX8 -you are an excitable guy. I'll bet you've got blood pressure problems.
Only an idiot like yourself gets so excited over nonsense.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Nope, no blood pressure problems at all. I just hate to see bad information put on here for people to be misguided by. I'm sure if Federal catches employees peddling this stuff they would not care for it either. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but no one should not think there is a conspiracy because of bad information. Nothing unsafe is going to ever leave Federal on purpose, just substandard products sold to employees that are never intended for resale. Most employees would consider it a benefit and not a way to make money on the side.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts