Trapshooters Forum banner

Factory Fiocchi paper hull loads.

1937 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  2ndhandsmoke
I see that Fiocchi is a sponsor of The Grand this year. I see they are also bringing out their paper hull loads. I have never shot them and am curious about them both as a factory load and to reload with. What are your experiences.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
I think you will find that the quality of their paper hulls is intended for one shot and toss . I have found that most of them lose part of the crimp section paper when shot , and if not a one reload and toss .I don't mess with them , plastic is the best for reloaders.

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you will find that the quality of their paper hulls is intended for one shot and toss . I have found that most of them lose part of the crimp section paper when shot , and if not a one reload and toss .I don't mess with them , plastic is the best for reloaders.
Thanks. I was curious being l have never shot those papers yet.. Apparently you have never had the privilege of shooting Federal Gold Medal papers before. If so, you may have a different opinion.

· Registered
231 Posts
In the past I shot and reloaded thousands of Fed. papers. They reload very nicely , but unless you are shooting them beyond their practical pin hole free life , plastic is still the best all around. My opinion.
Have you ever tried roll crimping them? If not, you might change your mind. Plastic shells loose their crimp strength rapidly that effects their velocity. More than a few shots & they slow down. Paper hulls can be reclaimed with a quick dip in paraffin.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Have you ever tried roll crimping them? If not, you might change your mind. Plastic shells loose their crimp strength rapidly that effects their velocity. More than a few shots & they slow down. Paper hulls can be reclaimed with a quick dip in paraffin.
It ain’t the crimp that fails. It is the row of pin holes burned through the paper just above the brass head. Three loadings is about all you get out of them. If you’re lucky with powder choice.

And, no. Plastics don’t lose pressure after just a few loadings. They will last 10 easily and some as many as 20 loadings. One shooter ran an experiment. Load and shoot, reload on the field and reshoot, twenty times. Look it up. It’s on here.

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had 100 Fed Grands and Fed Gold Medals, old ribbed style. Shot as factory, reloaded both side by side, same load. Shot them and kept track on the box. Ran them both to 15 reloads and factory shot. So that by itself is 16 times before grew tired and some were starting to show some crimps beginning to fail. But yes, nothing like paper to plastic for durability, just the nostalgia and smell is what it is all about. Red dot and Fed Papers. If they made a cologne smelling like that, l would buy 5gal straight off the top!! I shoot em n leave in the cab of truck just it smells like that!!

Reactions: flashmax

· Registered
247 Posts
You can dip them in wax, put them on a hull conditioner iron , do whatever you want to them, none of that stops the pinhole burn throughs at the brass / paper intersection. Roll crimp ? Over shot card ? Who has time for all that baloney if they shoot regularly ? I will keep my plastics and my progressive machine.

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't do any of that dipping, hot irons, overshot cards or even roll crimping. I just load them on my MEC Hustler and away we go. 4 marks on the box and in the trash they go!! If it burns off, l look down the barrel as l drop the brass case head into my pocket. Barrel clean and clear, next round into chamber and await my next turn. Simple.

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By no means. I have half a 55gal barrel of Fed Papers. And lm sure if l looked deep enough and long enough, l would find some from the Grands held in Vandalia!!! I know l have some unopened boxes from the last Grand held up there!!

· Registered
225 Posts
Shot them years ago when Gander Mountain used to sell them occasionally. From what I remember they shot well enough for caps but they stunk terribly, nothing like a Fed paper.

I tried reloading similar to a Fed and always got a crease above the brass and bad crimps, never loaded enough of them to justify messing with my good settings for other shells.

Shoot and toss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.