Trapshooters Forum banner

Factory federal paper hulls split

5165 31
Has anyone had this issue with paper hulls? These were new, factory loaded
1-1/8 #8s going 1235. Had several of these and about half that blew part of the petals off.
Hand Circuit component Finger Ammunition Cosmetics
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
3,190 Posts
Walking my dog where the bunker/olympic shooters train etc. in Tucson, I have seen lots and lots of split federal papers in the trash/ground/tub for empties.....even "dumpster-divers" are starting to avoid them.

One has to wonder what the splits do to the......speed..pattern..chamber...firing pin...receiver....etc????
Can't be good........m

· Registered
267 Posts
That's a shame, I loved those Federal papers, but haven't shot them in awhile. Not much different to what Winchester did when they quit making the red AA's. The gray one's split a lot of the time at the crimps when shot new. Winchester even cheapened the boxes compared to the 20 year old ones I have. Like everything else pay more get less.

· Registered
23 Posts
A while back a buddy and I got a couple of cases of bad 9mm ammo that was splitting cases, which damaged the chamber in the pistol shooting it. Luckily we caught it before too much damage was done and the vendor made it right. I don’t think shotgun ammo generates as much pressure, but it might be a good idea to inspect the chamber just to be sure.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A while back a buddy and I got a couple of cases of bad 9mm ammo that was splitting cases, which damaged the chamber in the pistol shooting it. Luckily we caught it before too much damage was done and the vendor made it right. I don’t think shotgun ammo generates as much pressure, but it might be a good idea to inspect the chamber just to be sure.
That was the first thing I did when I noticed the split hulls, nothing appears to have been damaged

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Happens all the time. I used to buy them by the flats for that was what I shot nearly 80% of the time. Loved the smell and look. Out of a flat, I would loose nearly a half a box due to split tube, brass or pin/burn through holes at the top of the brass. And that was with factory loads!!

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happens all the time. I used to by them by the flats for that was what I shot nearly 80% of the time. Loved the smell and look. Out of a flat, I would loose nearly a half a box due to split tube, brass or pin/burn through holes at the top of the brass. And that was with factory loads!!
These were also factory loads, does anyone know if rio still makes papers and if they are any good?

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Federal has went to crap. I loved their products when I was growing up. Everything now is made as cheap as possible. Two years ago I had a bad case of 243 ammo, they promised to test and pay me for that box, they never paid and said what I expected them to say...."they are within spec". 4 different rifles and best group was 2" and the average was about 3-3 1/2 at 100 yds and these were rifles that were known to shoot well. It would be nice to see upper management of Federal read this thread but if they did, does anybody really think they would care any.

· Registered
4,965 Posts
Federal changed suppliers for the paper in the paper hulls about 4 or 5 years ago. There was a thread on here about that back then. Aren't the people now making Remington ammo the same folks that own/make Federal ammo?
If so, may not be good down the road for that quality too. Even Winchester AA aren't what they used to be years ago.

· Registered
1,260 Posts
I’ve had it the same as the OP. New Gold Medals. I also had some of them begin to unwrap the paper.
Called Federal about the unwrapping and I got some youngster on the phone. He told me the cause was the way I stored my ammunition. Told him I have doing this for a very long time with no changes to my routine and something has changed at Federal. He swore up and down that today’s components and processes are the same as they have always been.

We talked a bit longer and he would not budge.

Probably drank too much of the Corporate Kool-Aid from the marketing team.

Cheers, Dusty

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.