Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Browning Cynergy CX has this habit of biting me in the cheek. I've done a two things to try to solve it, but it still disobeys me... Maybe someone would have some ideas as to what to try next:

1. I added as much weight to the gun as possible (18 oz) of lead shot in the stock. Helped a little, but didn't cure it.
2. Added a 1/4 inch of spacers to the top of the butt pad to increase pitch. No help.

I generally crawl up the stock like a bunker shooter and that gives a wicked slap to the cheek. However, if I stay further back on the stock, my back more straight up and my head in a more upright position, there is little or no slap. What to make of that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Add a rib to get your head to a more upright position and you won't have to crawl the stock to stack the beads and it will allow your eyes to be in a better position not peeking out from under your eyebrows.

Been down this road worked for me.

Isn't it super tail heavy with 18oz. of lead in the stock?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the same issue with my new CX. After much experimentation, including pitch spacers—I was ready to give up and get a different gun!
However before I gave up I tried putting the thickest part of the pitch spacer at the bottom(heel) of the stock—and it worked!! Full disclosure—I put a jones adjuster on the CX as well—which didn’t solve anything until I “reversed” the pitch spacer!
GO FIGURE!
Please explain why this solves the cheek slap—I’m glad it’s gone—but I’m at a loss!!
Thanks

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have always struggled with cheek slap. I bought a PFS and was able to figure out what worked for me. First was LOP, that made the biggest difference, then drop at the heal. Pitch spacers never changed anything for me.

I set up my other gun to match the PFS, and it worked great.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I had the same issue with my new CX. After much experimentation, including pitch spacers—I was ready to give up and get a different gun!
However before I gave up I tried putting the thickest part of the pitch spacer at the bottom(heel) of the stock—and it worked!! Full disclosure—I put a jones adjuster on the CX as well—which didn’t solve anything until I “reversed” the pitch spacer!
GO FIGURE!
Please explain why this solves the cheek slap—I’m glad it’s gone—but I’m at a loss!!
Thanks
I di the same thing with my gun and it worked . What I believe was happening was the gun was going down after the shot and as a result of that the butt stock was slipping up and I was getting cheek slap. So my pitch is changed to O so when I stand the gun up the rib is even or very close to even with a parallel surface.
There is a you tube video with two old timers Brad Dysinger is one of them and they explain this ,it appears to be contrary to popular belief,but it worked for me .

·
Registered
441 Posts
My new Browning Cynergy CX has this habit of biting me in the cheek. I've done a two things to try to solve it, but it still disobeys me... Maybe someone would have some ideas as to what to try next:

1. I added as much weight to the gun as possible (18 oz) of lead shot in the stock. Helped a little, but didn't cure it.
2. Added a 1/4 inch of spacers to the top of the butt pad to increase pitch. No help.

I generally crawl up the stock like a bunker shooter and that gives a wicked slap to the cheek. However, if I stay further back on the stock, my back more straight up and my head in a more upright position, there is little or no slap. What to make of that?

Thanks!

Reverse the pitch spacers .

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
First, we are all, of course, different body shapes. I’m pretty much the ‘classic retirement age trap shooter’ aka, full size...

My Cynergy CX was biting a bit with full loads at first before I took a Nora Ross clinic. Nora suggested, among other things, that I was not mounting the stock firmly enough. Once I got used to pulling it in quite firmly, the bite and some other issues went away.

Don’t know if this would help you but FWIW..

·
Registered
721 Posts
Pulling the stock into my shoulder worked for me. Sloppy mounting brings sore cheeks and shoulders. Like Nora says hold the gun tight so no one can pull it away from you. One of many lessons learned from her clinics.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
A thin, soft, stick-on comb pad is my prescription for you. $20. Works for me on all my guns. I swear, shooting a rifle with 22 shorts bites my cheek.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all. I will try reversing the spacers first. I will report results.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The pitch is correct FOR YOU when, as the mount is completed and the gun is brought back to your shoulder with the barrel raised to a normal shooting height, the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder.

If you don't want to add a pad adjuster to your stock to allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered, try mounting your gun with as much as an inch of the recoil pad extending above your collarbone. Of course, you should shoot wearing a vest to protect your collarbone.

Rollin

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
GO FIGURE!
Thanks
Because it gets the comb closer to parallel. Parallel combs don't slap cheeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brownings have a habit of face slap cured my skeet by magnaoirtungvand adding mercury recoil reduced to stock & deceleration pad

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
I’m in agreement with Pheasant Master. Add some length.

I brought up some pics of Cynergy traps and they appear to be zero or better negative pitch. Since you added even more negative pitch and nothing changed, I’d add a little length at a time until the slap goes away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts