Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interesting situation and am curious if anyone else has encountered it. I shoot a Browning 725 Combo. Unsingle barrel for Singles and Handicap and the Over/Under for Doubles. The gun is equipped with a custom fit Wenig Stock.

A couple of months ago I shot a few rounds of doubles. While I wasn't really aware of any pain at the time and there was no redness or chaffing on my cheek, that evening I developed a pain under my cheek. It was bad enough that it felt like a migrane. Even my teeth ached. The next day I went to the Dr. and he indicated that I had "irritated the Maxio-facial Nerve", and took me off shooting for a week. Pain went away within a day or two. I have been shooting singles and handicap ever since with no issue. I can easilly shoot 20 boxes in the course of a 3 day weekend and have encountered no problem.

This past weekend, I decided to shoot a round of doubles. I shot 50 birds and quit. No pain that I was aware of. That night, the ache in my cheek started. While not as bad as last time it definitely is there.

It seems as though this is specifically related to Doubles. What I fail to understand is why the problem would surface on doubles and not singles. Anybody else experience anything remotely similar to this?

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,703 Posts
Try shooting the top barrel for singles and see what happens. My guess is it's the difference in recoil dynamics between the two since the top single (or in your case, the top barrel) elevates some of the rearward recoil whereas the unsingle (or bottom barrel) is pretty much straight back. I feel a noticeable difference when shooting the top barrel of my combo, not painful as you described but there's a noticeable change in upward gun movement upon recoil.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I am with Wad Hopper. My kid shoots the top barrel of a Citori for singles and never has any soreness. Sunday we did a sporting clays course and 1/2 way into it, he complained of his cheek being sore. My thought was he did not have a solid mount since he was moving his eyes (head) to find birds

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm in agreement with the lifting of the head! You may not be pulling up enough to change Poi but changing cheek pressure can cause slap, especially with a custom stock. They are fit to you and dialed in for consistency, any changes will create slap.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I'm in disagreement. I think you're pulling the gun away from your face on singles and handicap which keeps the stock from jarring your face, but on doubles your face stays planted on the stock and takes the impact of the recoil. Trapshooters may have trouble understanding this, but the top sporting clays shooters do pull their faces off the stock. You can see it when they shoot, their head doesn't jerk back from the recoil.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Sounds like my experience. I shot 30K rounds through my Superposed ST-100 before I was forced to sit on a stool to shoot. Now it kicks the [email protected]#$ out of my face. I've tried all the suggested recoil pad alterations including a KickEez Rocker pad that have been discussed at length on this site but with no relief. And I had the gun ported when it was brand new and before I had ever fired a shot out of it (porting does NOT help and is the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a gun IMHO). Going to install a new regular KickEez pad and lengthen the LOP a bit to see if that helps. Testing will have to wait until next year as I'm not shooting this year.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Do you wear a vest when you shoot doubles? The buttstock could be moving on you in between shots. A vest with a leather pad should help the gun stay against your shoulder a bit better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for the replies!! In terms of a load Dave S. the first shot is a light load..1 1/8 but only 1095 FPS. hmm, the barrels are already ported on the gun. I really appreciate everyone's input!!! I agree with what has been said in the sense that somehow, some space is being created between my cheek and the stock. I have an older Ultra XT and also a Remington 1100. Both have factory stocks on them. I'll give one of them a try when I get back from the Grand! Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Shoot the top barrel of the O/U for 100 singles and see if it bothers you.(I think it will)
Maybe not as much as when you shoot doubles but their will be some irritation

It could be coming out of the gun for the second shot as some have suggested.
May even be a bit of both.

Good Luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting West! The wild thing about this is that I'm completely unaware of any of this while it is happening. In other words, I'm not aware of anything different. It isn't until evening at home that my face starts to ache. You would think that I would at least be aware of something when I shoot.

I'm trying to get things glued back together for the Grand for Handicap and Singles. Won't be messing with doubles until I get home from there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts