Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have limited information and limited pictures....does anybody here know how to "date" a F. Williams sxs shotgun. It has hammers and I am sure it is damascus steel. I already know it was a gunmaker out of Birmingham England but have no idea how to "date" it. Apparently this is important because the fella wants to bring it into the USA from Canada and the date is a factor....I have no knowledge of these regulations, requirements or such. So I have read a little from Customs and Border Protection, along with ATF. The main question here is how to "date" this gun and prove year of manufacture.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have limited information and limited pictures....does anybody here know how to "date" a F. Williams sxs shotgun. It has hammers and I am sure it is damascus steel. I already know it was a gunmaker out of Birmingham England but have no idea how to "date" it. Apparently this is important because the fella wants to bring it into the USA from Canada and the date is a factor....I have no knowledge of these regulations, requirements or such. So I have read a little from Customs and Border Protection, along with ATF. The main question here is how to "date" this gun and prove year of manufacture.
Can you provide details of what is engraved on the top rib near the breech? That might include a clue to the address of the maker in Birmingham. From a cursory investigation it seems there may have been more than one "F Williams" gun makers in Birmingham. Photos of the gun, its serial number and a photo of the proof markings on the flats of the barrels would be helpful. Proving the year of manufacture may well be impossible but an approximate range of dates might be.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys, I will work on getting that info. This is being done via text and email and in the middle of a family funeral to where the gun is currently. Just trying to get ahead of what information is needed to make coming into the USA easier and as hassle free as possible.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Your only hope for a less hassle import is if there are pre-1896 proof marks.
If the flats carry "NITRO PROOF" and the shot Max. it is post 1896 and likely can not be dated more closely.

From Diggory Hadoke, "Vintage Guns", 2008
Vintage Guns

I don't know if the gun is by THIS Fred. Williams
Fred Williams English Maker - The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com

Google "Fredrick Williams, Birmingham shotgun" and you'll find lot of information

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Your only hope for a less hassle import is if there are pre-1896 proof marks.
If the flats carry "NITRO PROOF" and the shot Max. it is post 1896 and likely can not be dated more closely.

From Diggory Hadoke, "Vintage Guns", 2008
Vintage Guns

I don't know if the gun is by THIS Fred. Williams
Fred Williams English Maker - The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com

Google "Fredrick Williams, Birmingham shotgun" and you'll find lot of information
Drew,

Diggory Hadoke? What an unusual name............I sounded distinctly fishy and I'd never heard of "him", but a quick Google search proved it wasn't Doc Bombay.

The following link to proof marks may also be useful:

UK

Jim

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys. An actual phone call was made to that port of entry for information and we now have it figured out.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually was able thru a friend, to talk to the actual port of entry staff at US Customs and Border Protection. Was told there are two ways to bring that old shotgun back to the states(in fact was told by investigator that old age of the shotgun did not matter), one is fill out a Form 6 and wait for approval and the other way is Canadian dealer to US dealer. I don't know for sure this is exactly the right answer, and the only reason I say that is you will get a different interpretation from multiple people within the same agencies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts