Beth
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,340 Posts
No chokes???? Are you sure? What symbols are on the left side of the monoblock:

* designates full choke (F).

*- designates improved modified choke (IM).

** designates modified choke (M).

**- designates improved cylinder choke (IC).

**$ designates skeet (SK).

*** designates cylinder bore (CYL).

· Registered
1,658 Posts
Quote: "Top choke: 0.046 X-tra Full, Top barrel OD: 0.819, Top barrel ID: 0.705 Bottom choke: 0.021 Modified, Bottom Barrel OD: 0.815, Bottom Barrel ID: 0.680 OD/ID measured using calipers on the tip of the barrels. Chokes measured using a 4 gauge barrel micrometer. Beth "

Beth,

Here is the way I see it. First, the OD has nothing at all to do with choke. Second, if we assume that the bore diameter of each barrel is about .730" for a 30+ year old Citori, then we can do some simple arithmetic to calculate the constriction of each barrel......... assuming that you measured the exit ID correctly.

Top Barrel: .730" minus .705" = .025" which is about Modified or Imp Mod

Bottom Barrel: .730" minus .680" = .050" which is EXTRA FULL .

Easystreet

· Registered
17,357 Posts
You can't measure the ID in the choke portion unless you want to stay really confused, which seems to be the case here.

This is a field grade Citori, and the top barrel should be the tighter choke.

If you have a barrel mike, get it down in the bore at least 8 inches from the muzzle, and check the other end too.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I have had several Citoris in the past, along with 50 or 60 other shotguns at one time or another.

HM

· Registered
1,658 Posts
Beth,

All I can say is that that is a mighty strange gun you've got there if the chokes are as you describe and the exit diameters are also as you describe.

I'm trying to figure out how the top barrel which you say is X-Full can have a more open exit diameter than the bottom barrel which you say is Modified.

I realize that the tightest constriction of the choke may not be at the very end, but I still can not think of any logical reason why the X-Full choke would be more open at the end than the Modified. Perhaps you can get your expert to explain this to us.

Easystreet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.