Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some great trading over last weekend and brought back into inventory five very pretty and unique Bastogne Walnut rifle blanks that I'm happy to offer to TSers at a super low price before I put them up on the website at much higher numbers. These are NOT exhibition grade, super symmetrical, perfectly laid out thousand dollar blanks. They are over 20 years naturally air-dried blanks that came out of a major American rifle maker's inventory ten years ago and have been acclimating in southern Oregon (White Creek) and northern California (Suisun City) ever since. I brought them back home this week with a very advantageous trade which allows me to offer them to viewers at Trapshooters.com at a crazy low price right before Christmas.

Two views of the left side of A and B from different angles so you can appreciate the typical three dimensional fiddleback characteristic in Bastogne Walnut.

Two views of the right side of A and B. Left side of Blank A is much more colorful than the right with a swarm of dense black line coverage through the forend area. The right side of Blank B has a more pronounced fiddleback than the left side where it appears just below the surface. Measurements on Blank A are 36" long, 7" tall at the butt, 3 3/8" tall at the muzzle and 2 3/16" thick. Blank B measures 36+" long, 6 3/4" tall at the butt, 2 1/4" tall at the muzzle and 2 1/4" thick.

Two views of Blanks C, D and E left sides.

Two views of Blanks C, D and E right sides.

Blank C has a dense band of fine, distinct black lines on the left side which will show a little at the top of the right side when duplicated. Measurements for Blank C are 33" long, 6 3/4" tall at the butt, 2 1/4" tall at the muzzle and 2 5/16" thick.

Blank D has a soft, open rolling fiddleback throughout with a band of dense, fine black lines sweeping into the left side. Measurements are 31 1/2" long, 6 1/2" tall at the butt, 2 1/2" tall at the muzzle and 2 1/4" thick.

Blank E is a two-toned blank with twice as much dark fine lines on the right side compared to the left. Measurements are 33" long, 7" tall at the butt, 2 3/8" tall at the muzzle and 2 5/16" thick.

These may not yet be "rare" but Bastogne Walnut is getting more and more difficult to find, just like Tiger Stripe and Black Myrtlewood. Bastogne Walnut is a sterile hybrid of English Walnut and Black or Claro Walnut which carries the colors of the Black or Claro side and the fine mold lines (occasionally) of its English side and always shows solid fiddleback throughout the entire tree. Some stock blank makers have actually published numbers of these hybrids that they believe are still in existence and large enough to actually yield stock blanks and those estimates are scary low.

I've laid my personal Perazzi trap stock over all five and the only blank where it comes close to the edges is Blank C. These probably will not be thick enough to host offsets or twisted sisters and wierd uncles, but they're plenty big enough for most standard stock applications. For you rifle shooters who are thinking about "some day", your day has arrived. Even if you're not going to do your next custom for a while, grab one or more of these for your collection.

All of these blanks are priced at $295.00 each including shipping to the 48 states to followers on TS.com. When they go up on the White Creek website, they'll be at least twice that. If you would like more than one let me know early and we'll work something out. First contact at email address [email protected] will enjoy the first choice. I will indicate SOLD by Blank letter as soon as I've got confirmation. Any questions about these blanks should be directed to the email address above or communicated to me via PM.

Thanks for looking,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone,

Mike Mann WHITE CREEK GUNSTOCK BLANKS Your Myrtlewood Source

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mike, you sure do come up with some very fine looking wood. I have some of your wood that I got from Gary B. in the form of 'Shell cutter' and a box holder for the Dial bore gage he made for me. The shell cutter is one of the first Gary made from Ebony wood he got from you and the Dial bore gauge box is made from Myrtle wood that he got from you. I have looked at some of your wood blanks that Dennis got from you and they are some of the fanciest wood sets that I have seen. Thank you Mr. M

Tom E

·
Supporting Vendor
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the nice words, Tom. I think it's supposed to work like this - First, a little shell cutter, next the bigger bore mic box, next ---- a new stock for your favorite fowling piece. I'll be taking these (what's left of these) to two custom makers tomorrow in the Eugene, Oregon area and I'll post if a few don't come home with me.

Again thanks for the kind words and Merry Christmas to all,

Mike Mann

·
Supporting Vendor
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuck,

1 Mesquite 2-piece in inventory. I haven't seen a Mesquite rifle blank in a long time.

Let me know if interested.

Mike Mann

1 - 7 of 7 Posts