Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years ago I took a Phil K. clinic One of the things he mentioned doing was to open your eyes wide just before calling for the target. I did that and it helped me see the target more clearly up until the last two or three years. At my age things start to sag a little, one of those things being my eye lids. This coming Wed. I have a consultation with my optometrist about getting my eye lids lifted. I would like to know if any one here has had the procedure done and if you have, please share with me if you think it has helped your vision and shooting.

Thanks in advance for your input and shoot well,
Steve

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
My father had that done. I was under the impression it was done when the eye lids actually block your vision. If not it was just not necessary. I wonder if your head position on the stock accentuates the problem.
(I'm just thinking out loud).

·
Premium Member
BT99
117 Posts
I recall a former club member had this done specifically for shooting trap. I always questioned the rationale, may make sense for a few.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have known a couple of folks who have had the procedure.

Only one was a Trap shooter and he felt it helped his game.

Its All Good

West

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,202 Posts
I perform this procedure all the time. It’s quick and recovery is minimal. Insurance will cover this is 70 % of your visual field is obstructed. It’s also important to have your surgeon evaluate your brow position too, as you may need that lifted too.

Age is a factor, but many just have predisposition to needing this. It will likely help your game significantly if your upper visual field is blocked. Make a consultation with a board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon. You can check for this at www.abplasticsurgery.org.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Some years ago I took a Phil K. clinic One of the things he mentioned doing was to open your eyes wide just before calling for the target. I did that and it helped me see the target more clearly up until the last two or three years. At my age things start to sag a little, one of those things being my eye lids. This coming Wed. I have a consultation with my optometrist about getting my eye lids lifted. I would like to know if any one here has had the procedure done and if you have, please share with me if you think it has helped your vision and shooting.

Thanks in advance for your input and shoot well,
Steve
My wife had that done several years ago. She said it was done for a lot of Slavic people-many of her relatives had it done. The worst part for me as a dutiful husband was getting the stink eye from other people- until the bruising healed.

·
Vendor
1,313 Posts
I perform this procedure all the time. It’s quick and recovery is minimal. Insurance will cover this is 70 % of your visual field is obstructed. It’s also important to have your surgeon evaluate your brow position too, as you may need that lifted too.

Age is a factor, but many just have predisposition to needing this. It will likely help your game significantly if your upper visual field is blocked. Make a consultation with a board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon. You can check for this at www.abplasticsurgery.org.

Thx., for the information. I know one shooter that had this done and he felt it helped him immensely. I went to surgeon and he said mine wasn’t bad enough yet. I’d like to have it done if Medicare would pay for it. I don’t think I am seeing bird well at all because of sag, heavy eyebrows, and perhaps stock crawl. I think it causes me to roll my face back as bird rises from house. I feel like I rarely lock on birds the way I used to.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Thx., for the information. I know one shooter that had this done and he felt it helped him immensely. I went to surgeon and he said mine wasn’t bad enough yet. I’d like to have it done if Medicare would pay for it. I don’t think I am seeing bird well at all because of sag, heavy eyebrows, and perhaps stock crawl. I think it causes me to roll my face back as bird rises from house. I feel like I rarely lock on birds the way I used to.
I always recommend going to get your visual field test done at the end of the day when your brow and lids are “heaviest.” And make sure you don’t compensate with your forehead when getting it tested. Head position can exacerbate how bad it is. I’m relatively young and already need a brow and lid lift. I’ve noticed it worsening the last few years. Went to a more heads up stock and it helped slightly, but still a problem. Will probably need it before 40.

·
Premium Member
19,249 Posts
I had my left eye done about 10 years ago. It got so bad I had to pull my head back to see anything.

Reactions: AAtrap

·
Registered
198 Posts
I saw somewhere a cosmetic product like double sided tape used as a fix for this issue. It's applied on the lid with the eye closed and the extra skin adheres to the tape until the tape is removed. No personal experience with it.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Very timely question for myself. Do they do just the drooping eyelid or are both recommended?
Need to do both. Look up Hering’s law on an explanation for why. But basically it’s like a balance scale. Open one, the other closes slightly.

Also bear in mind that y’all may have more than just excess eyelid skin. Ptosis can be from a muscle separating or stretching out. A good Plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon can delineate all of that.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
I saw somewhere a cosmetic product like double sided tape used as a fix for this issue. It's applied on the lid with the eye closed and the extra skin adheres to the tape until the tape is removed. No personal experience with it.
You can lid tape as a temporary fix if you just have a low brow or redundant skin. Just steristrips work ok. No need for double sided tape.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Was told at my last eye exam there is now a drop/medication that will temporarily lift those sagging lids.
Has been around for a long time. Not a fix. Bandaid. It’s aproclonidine. Activates Mullers muscle and will retract the lid. It’s a diagnostic test to see if a certain procedure will correct the ptosis, but it isn’t intended to treat or last.

·
Registered
163 Posts

I had my eyelids and brows done last Dec., my field of vision got considerably wider and much brighter, I was not at the 70% threshold but medicare still covered it, it was well worth the slight inconvenience of icing your eyes for about a week.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Age is a factor, but many just have predisposition to needing this. It will likely help your game significantly if your upper visual field is blocked. a consultation with a board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon. You can check for this at www.abplasticsurgery.org.

Thanks to all who replied. I'll know more after this Wed., but I believe she stated that I'm at the percentage need to have insurance pay for it. I've been having trouble keeping my head on the stock and thought this might be part of the problem. I've always been a stock crawler so don't expect the surgery to cure that. If I wasn't a clay target shooter, I'd probably not be thinking about getting it done.
Thanks again,
Steve

1 - 20 of 43 Posts