Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi recently I have noticed that my left eye is taking over and its not all the time but it happens now and again so i decided to put some tape on my left lens it has defiantly helped but it seems that maybe it is not in the right place as I have been using my wall chart its hard to see the left hand bird I was wondering if I could get some input on where to put the tape.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
bt99, I had the same problem. I tried the tape/dot. I tried the eye patch. I tried sight blinders. Nothing worked. Two Phil Kiner clinics helped a lot, but did not cure the problem. My final solution was to set my POI high enough so that the barrel never blocked the target from my right eye while swinging. Any time the barrel swung through the target, my left eye would take over and I would miss. A higher rib unsingle also helped a lot. So did a green FO front 'bead'.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bt99, I had the same problem. I tried the tape/dot. I tried the eye patch. I tried sight blinders. Nothing worked. Two Phil Kiner clinics helped a lot, but did not cure the problem. My final solution was to set my POI high enough so that the barrel never blocked the target from my right eye while swinging. Any time the barrel swung through the target, my left eye would take over and I would miss. A higher rib unsingle also helped a lot. So did a green FO front 'bead'.
I am shooting an unsingle maybe I should try a different front bead.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Hi recently I have noticed that my left eye is taking over and its not all the time but it happens now and again so i decided to put some tape on my left lens it has defiantly helped but it seems that maybe it is not in the right place as I have been using my wall chart its hard to see the left hand bird I was wondering if I could get some input on where to put the tape.
Take Phil up on his offer. Seriously. Free advice from a professional, what do you have to loose? And I think you will find him pleasant to talk with.

Reactions: Dogbest

·
Registered
83 Posts
This happens to me occasionally. I installed the Champion EasyHit sight and haven’t had any issues since and it’s been 2 years. For a true cross eye dominant issue you’ll need tape.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Magic dot placement

Previous helpful posts regarding the topic of proper dot placement

The position of the occluder or opaque "spot" on the lens of a right-handed shooter is identified by having the shooter mount the gun and cheek the stock as though they are ready to call for a target, looking straight down the barrel with the right eye. In this position have a friend use a small stick-on dot (found at Staples or Office Depot) stuck to the side of a thin piece of wire or maybe a toothpick so that it looks like a lollypop. Have your friend move the dot around on surface of the left lens of your shooting glasses until it’s in the position that makes the "second barrel" disappear. When the second barrel disappears press the dot onto the lens and carefully remove the wire or toothpick so as not to scratch the lens of your shooting glasses. Unmount the gun and remount it. If you now have both eyes open and see only one barrel the dot is in the right place. If not, you may have to move it around a bit to get it in the best position.

A good way to properly align a dot is to use paper punch cut outs from a paper punch. Moisten the paper dot and stick it to the lens and adjust the position until it is perfectly centered over the guns bead with your off eye after you assume your normal shotgun mount. Place the real dot on the opposite side of the lens perfectly centered over the paper dot. Remove paper dot and shoot.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I used two dots to find a good spot. One on the inside, one on the outside. I started out with both dots lined up with each other. When making an adjustment, I moved the outside dot, and left the inside dot where it was as a placeholder. If I liked the outside dot placement, I moved the inside placeholder to line up with it. This way I could make changes and reverse them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drew Hause

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I am shooting an unsingle maybe I should try a different front bead.
I used the 2.5mm Green Easy Hit FO. It was bright enough that I could always see it in my peripheral vision, but not so bright as to distract me. Truthfully, I never consciously noticed it, but it was there when I had to aim. Sometimes I would be surprised by the angle a bird was thrown. The glowing green dot helped me get back on target.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a left eye dominant right handed shooter. I track the clay with both eyes and just before I pull the trigger I close my left eye. Works well for me. The patches and dots gave me headaches after awhile.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have struggled with cross firing for years.
Yesterday I put a black piece of electrical tape across the top lens of my left eye.
For the first time in years, I was able to shoot with both eyes open.
Hopefully, it will continue to work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used two dots to find a good spot. One on the inside, one on the outside. I started out with both dots lined up with each other. When making an adjustment, I moved the outside dot, and left the inside dot where it was as a placeholder. If I liked the outside dot placement, I moved the inside placeholder to line up with it. This way I could make changes and reverse them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I just put some tape on my glasses it’s perfect where it is so you think the magic dots are worth to buy a pack or should I stick with the tape? I’m also gonna be contacting phill soon.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You can buy dots very similar to the magic dot at any office supply store for a much lower cost.
Phil Kiner has studied this pretty intensely. Don't delay in calling him.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
You can buy dots very similar to the magic dot at any office supply store for a much lower cost..
I actually just cut dots of varying diameter out of some electric tape.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I recently talked with Phil. He said your off eye can try to look around the dot. Try putting the tape all the way across the top of your lense

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
The size of the tape or dot unfortunately is sorta a "Goldilocks" thing

Corey Cogdell-Unrein. She has a double layer medially.

Kim Rhode down the middle of the off eye

I did try to "look around" a dot if too small, but found a dot too big very distracting and actually caused by off eye to take over. Hard to see the target when all that you "see" is the backside of a black dot :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The size of the tape or dot unfortunately is sorta a "Goldilocks" thing

Corey Cogdell-Unrein. She has a double layer medially.

Kim Rhode down the middle of the off eye

I did try to "look around" a dot if too small, but found a dot too big very distracting and actually caused by off eye to take over. Hard to see the target when all that you "see" is the backside of a black dot :(

Right now I have my tape right down the middle I agree it does seem distracting maybe I should try it at the top of my lens.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts