Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
You might want to check out this article: 0317EyeDominance.pdf

The author states "Because neurological dominance might not be complete in some immature students, it is possible for a fledgling shooter at 10 years old to test right-eyed, and then test left-eyed two years later."

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is a new study that has come out, i'll try to get a link to it. It states for boys, a cross dominance is not permanent for youth that have not gone through full puberty. I have started seeing this with Athletes I have coached. The ones I am referring to are ones that starting shooting at age 11/12 showed a left eye dominance. Now that they are 16/17/18 they are a full strong right eye dominance. The study stated that there is something to do with the surge of hormones that corrects this issue. Please keep checking your athletes as they progress. Especially, if you see them struggling with their process and of you see targets lost that you know they normally crush.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try switching. Keep at it. Don’t try it for one round and then quit because the kid whines about it being too hard. Keep at it several rounds a week for a month. Using both eyes. He WILL see an improvement after that month if he is actually left eye dominant.
I have a left handed grandson who is an excellent youth shooter from his right side. We just never allowed him to shoot from his left, and it worked. Would not have cared except he is the only male heir and will someday get a pile of nice right handed rifles and shotguns.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts