Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 11 yr old has been shooting for about 10 months now and we have now established that he is right handed and left eye dominant. He shoots good with one eye but recently I have used the magic dot on his left eye so he can shoot with both eyes open. Should I go ahead and switch sides and make him start shooting left handed since he is young?

·
Registered
28,944 Posts
Try switching. Keep at it. Don’t try it for one round and then quit because the kid whines about it being too hard. Keep at it several rounds a week for a month. Using both eyes. He WILL see an improvement after that month if he is actually left eye dominant.

Reactions: Kmerritt1

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
So my 11 yr old has been shooting for about 10 months now and we have now established that he is right handed and left eye dominant. He shoots good with one eye but recently I have used the magic dot on his left eye so he can shoot with both eyes open. Should I go ahead and switch sides and make him start shooting left handed since he is young?
I am certainly glad I did not "force" my son to have to shoot left handed as he is right handed and left eye dominate as well. There were a couple people telling us that he would not be able to progress in this sport by staying right handed and that he had to switch "at ALL costs".

Yes he tried left handed and did okay but he felt much more confident staying right handed. We found his recipe and stuck with it.

He shoots pretty good still.

Bud

Have your son try left handed a few times and do it for 3-4 weeks. Find what he needs is the key.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My son is also left eye dominant but right handed. He starred shooting trap this year, as did I. He has done pretty well. He shoots left handed, and doesn’t want to try to adjust and shoot right handed, maybe that will eventually change?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am right eye dominant and left handed. I first learned how to shoot a BB gun left handed. When I realized my eye dominance issue I switched to shooting right handed. It may have taken two weeks to adjust. As others have stated, go with the eyes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am right eye dominant and left handed. I first learned how to shoot a BB gun left handed. When I realized my eye dominance issue I switched to shooting right handed. It may have taken two weeks to adjust. As others have stated, go with the eyes.
we have been told that eye dominance can be changed, which I am sure it can be, but the person has to want to change it, will never go well if it’s forced.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
12,992 Posts
My understanding is you train the brain to use the eye that's on the gun, with both eyes open by shooting fast enough to make it automatic and NOT look at the barrel. That's what I've been working on since my straights went away mid summer. I'm happy to report they have come back. Have been getting a straight nearly every visit. Next is 2 straights per visit.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Nope. Dominance is a brain function. People will claim you can learn to shoot in spite of cross dominance and to some degree that may be true but if you can't rely on something 100% of the time, what's the point?

·
Registered
57 Posts
My understanding is you train the brain to use the eye that's on the gun, with both eyes open by shooting fast enough to make it automatic and NOT look at the barrel. That's what I've been working on since my straights went away mid summer. I'm happy to report they have come back. Have been getting a straight nearly every visit. Next is 2 straights per visit.
I have tried with both eyes open, but not for an entire round. I need to work on it more for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
kmerritt1,

Does your son play baseball? I found it advantageous to have my dominant eye closer to the pitcher (right eye dominant, left handed). It worked well for tennis too. The same should be true of golf.

I also found it to be a horrible handicap while playing basketball. Jump shots always seemed to be to one side of the hoop.

If you are interested in learning more this topic search on “sports vision therapy.” There may even be a vision therapist in a city near you.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Don't make him do anything. Ask him if he's willing to try shooting left handed.

I wish I'd have been offered that opportunity when I was learning to shoot 50 years ago. Instead, I was made to shoot right handed, and i am left eye dominant.

When I was younger, it wasn't as much a problem, young eyes can usually adapt well.

At 58, I have worked out a system that works for me. But sometimes I wonder what would have been had I been allowed to try left handed shooting.

I did teach myself as an adult, but I'm not as good left handed, because I don't do it much.

Give him the options, and allow him to choose the one that works best for him.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
12,992 Posts
Nope. Dominance is a brain function. People will claim you can learn to shoot in spite of cross dominance and to some degree that may be true but if you can't rely on something 100% of the time, what's the point?
The point for me is this: Shells were scarce, I was out of powder and lost my one straight per visit at the end of the summer. It was either quit or try this subconscious thing that I had never believed in before. So I went with it all out and it has worked for me. It got me back to where I was. Now I'll keep at it and see if I can start getting 2 straights a visit.

Young shooters can adjust more easily I believe...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't make him do anything. Ask him if he's willing to try shooting left handed.

I wish I'd have been offered that opportunity when I was learning to shoot 50 years ago. Instead, I was made to shoot right handed, and i am left eye dominant.

When I was younger, it wasn't as much a problem, young eyes can usually adapt well.

At 58, I have worked out a system that works for me. But sometimes I wonder what would have been had I been allowed to try left handed shooting.

I did teach myself as an adult, but I'm not as good left handed, because I don't do it much.

Give him the options, and allow him to choose the one that works best for him.
I agree with this, if I “make” him and it’s only my idea, it will go bad every single time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My experience with my son was he struggled for a good two months. We constantly talked about what we were going to accomplish and I really made the effort to only give instructions with one issue at a time. He has become a very good shooter and is very happy that we made the right decision. Train the body not the brain much easier in the long run.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts