Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed (I am also a right handed person). I have been shooting two eye since 2015 without issue but this morning while practicing my mount I closed both eyes and mounted, when I opened both eyes I was looking through the left eye and saw only the left side of the gun. It freaked my out. I remounted with both eyes open and can see mainly with the right eye (straight down the rib) but about 10% of my vision is on the left side of the gun, it is not peripheral I see a sharp image of part of the left side while I am seeing down the rib with my right eye.

I did a few eye dominance test and still right eye dominant but when I mount about 10% is that left side. I tested a few times closing both eye and mount and when I open my eyes I see all left.

I have a Terry Jordan wall chart and when I mount with both eyes I see mostly down the rib with the right eye but as I move to the target I am distracted by that 10% view from the left eye. Has this happened to anyone else? Anything I can do? Or am I back to shooting one eyed?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Use a "Magic Dot", piece of scotch tape, or anything to cover the vision of the left eye. I shoot with 2 eyes open but have a dot on my left lens. There are many threads on "dot placement" here and through the people who sell shooting glasses and dots like L&M

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed (I am also a right handed person). I have been shooting two eye since 2015 without issue but this morning while practicing my mount I closed both eyes and mounted, when I opened both eyes I was looking through the left eye and saw only the left side of the gun. It freaked my out. I remounted with both eyes open and can see mainly with the right eye (straight down the rib) but about 10% of my vision is on the left side of the gun, it is not peripheral I see a sharp image of part of the left side while I am seeing down the rib with my right eye.

I did a few eye dominance test and still right eye dominant but when I mount about 10% is that left side. I tested a few times closing both eye and mount and when I open my eyes I see all left.

I have a Terry Jordan wall chart and when I mount with both eyes I see mostly down the rib with the right eye but as I move to the target I am distracted by that 10% view from the left eye. Has this happened to anyone else? Anything I can do? Or am I back to shooting one eyed?
What is your age? Can change as you get older. Maybe you were tired, bad lighting, etc. Many variables. I am severely cross dominant and have tried everything known to man for 50 years and nothing helps me. You may have to go back. Once this gets into your head it can destroy your shooting if you fruitlessly pursue to change the inevitable. Gud luk.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
45 and the left eye is a little sticky today, maybe tomorrow will be better after a good night sleep. I will have to start practicing with left eye closed to see if I can still shoot as well or see what I need to adjust. Not crazy about the dots or smearing of the left lens but I could try it.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Keep your barrel out of your central vision. Hold low and look high, or hold wherever you want and look to the left of the barrel. Dont look at beads, dont move gun until you see a clear target.

The idea is that your eyes see only the target, and if you dont do anything until you clearly see the target you wont be paying any attention to the barrel. Low hold look high was a problem for me since I tended to move the gun fast and hard. But looking to the left worked wonders once I figured it out. I stopped cross firing and got high scores. And I was able to stop thinking about cross firing and concentrate on not moving until I see the target clearly.

The dots were an inconsistent help for me, probably because I was moving the gun too soon, too fast, and didnt see the target as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
There are lots of threads on cross firing eyes.
My eyes started cross firing when I was about 65.
I have been shooting one eyed for a while but it's been difficult.
Think I'll try what tomk is doing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The tape/dot does help but I find my left eye will work like crazy to look around it. I find myself focusing on that and not the target also end up with a spitting headache. I've finally found that I start with both eyes open to find and track the bird then wink the left eye to see the lead and pull the trigger. Most of the time it works.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
There are lots of threads on cross firing eyes.
My eyes started cross firing when I was about 65.
I have been shooting on eyes for a while but it's been difficult.
Think I'll try what tomk is doing.
I got a lot of advice from some very accomplished shooters, and I shot a few thousand targets with tape in front of my eye. I always had good scores for a hundred or two, then problems. Then I would take the tape off, do real well for a hundred or two, and have problems again.
Then I stuck with the tape for more than a thousand targets without great success. It was always a relief to take the tape off because I could see the targets so much better. I realized I was holding low and looking high to keep the barrel out of my vision, and that might have worked if I could keep from jumping at the target or moving the gun so fast. Once I reasoned out why it worked (the barrel isn't in my central vision), I tried looking to the left of the barrel. I was stunned. Giant targets with amazing detail visible just before exploding in front of me. I ran my first hundred ever the next shoot. My handicap scores have been low to mid 90's.

Sure, I may fall apart again. But I have shot almost another thousand targets this way between practice, league, and ATA, and my scores have never been better. I can play with how far left I look. Calm day, smoking all the targets, the eye can get closer to the barrel and I can shoot faster. If I start to get chunky breaks I move the eye further from the barrel, slow down, and it fixes it. I find station 5 always requires looking further to the left for success. And I absolutely must let my eye settle down for a hard focus in the distance before calling pull, which can make me a slow squad mate if my eyes are not cooperating. Combine it with good fundamentals (don't move until you see a clear whole target) and I think your cross firing can be minimized without tape.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks tomk2, I will try it out. I do like the idea of the gun being out of my vision. Last night I tried a few things and found that my glasses were obstructing my right eye and so when I closed my eye and mounted and then opened my eye my mind shifted to the left eye because that is the one that had full vision. If I did that routine with no glasses then I was lined up through the right eye. But still I agree I should have the gun out of my vision altogether. I will also try looking to the left of the gun. With the low hold do you have to raise the point of impact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tomk2 are you a right handed shooter looking to the left. I am right handed left eye dominate so decided to make the switch 9 months ago to shooting left handed both eyes open. It’s been a struggle to say the least but like shooting with both eyes. Wondering if this would work for me shooting left handed looking to the right. Also how far would you say you look off the barrels. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same issue with eye dominance. The XD Solution (XD Solution - The solution for cross dominance) worked the best for me to prevent my left eye from becoming the dominate eye when moving to the target. In the past I have tried most options - one eye, a spot on glasses lens, covering the upper portion of glasses lens, stick on blinder at the end of the barrel, etc. The XD Solution was the most effective method for me. You may want to give it a try.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Yes, I am right handed. Looking left means I only see one barrel is in peripheral vision (if I were to try and notice it) instead of two: what the left eye would see of the barrel is off the screen, so to speak.

I always did better with a lower hold. Maybe I had this problem the whole time? If I hold higher I tend to poke and stab at the target instead of swing. I also have a high shooting gun as it is. I feel that holding lower makes it easier to put 100% attention on the target and zero on the barrel. For me that means holding on the trap house top or just above it. But if you hold high dont change at first.

Dont change the point of impact. You are minimizing your off eye from taking over, nothing else needs fixing! Play with it, and try further left or closer, you may even find some posts work better closer or further.

I also figure that if this worked for everyone, someone else would have figured it out long ago. Hope it helps you, it sure helps me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have a few things to try next time I practice. I think I need to get my eyes up farther off the barrel to start with. Shot yesterday and scores were pretty lousy but did notice the ones that were smoked I remember seeing the right side of the barrel just as I shot. Shooting left handed. Kinda weird

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not to be a smart ass but when was the last time you had an eye examination? Let the doctor know you are a shooter and what you have been experiencing. There may be an underlying condition, or age, or something else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw the eye doc late last fall. Everything checked out good still no need for prescription. I am 45 so will definitely stay on top of that. Sorry I feel like I hijacked this thread just trying to figure out what may be going on. Have a feeling it’s crossfiring. Hope not but will keep trying small things

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not to be a smart ass but when was the last time you had an eye examination? Let the doctor know you are a shooter and what you have been experiencing. There may be an underlying condition, or age, or something else.
Saw a doctor about 3-4 months ago and got new glasses. Not sure it is a problem on the range yet but I will see tomorrow when I go.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I also started with an eye exam and new distance prescription as a first step. Making my off eye sharper didn't help, but I won't say it made it worse. Isn't it odd that my non shooting eye needed more correction? Some would wonder why a weaker off eye didn't prevent or help the problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Tomk2, how far to the right do you hold on station one? If you're holding far enough to the right to be looking to the left of the barrel and see the bird coming out, the gun would be on the right side of the trap house. Doesn't that make for a long swing to get the hard left targets? Or am I thinking about this wrong?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Actually, I hold the same place I used to, just look to the left. So for post 1 I hold on the left side of the trap house but not outside it, and I look left and away from the the house. I can still see the target emerge in my peripheral vision. I think that on post one, where I never caught myself cross firing, I don't have to look that far to the left. I also hold lower on post 1 and post 5 because I have often shot over the hard angles, and holding lower helps me avoid that.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts