Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting with tape over my left lens or closing my left eye the past few years. ( right hand shooter). I have had LASIK surgery 18 years ago. Both eyes are set for distance. I do need reading glasses now. Doing everyday normal things my vision is perfect. I could read the smallest line they gave me. However, when I tilt my head slightly right and look up( looking for a target) I get a ghost image that is high and slightly right. I tried a contact in my left that was set for reading and wont focus at a distance, the double image remained. My eye doctor had me get in my shooting position to create the double image and put a lens over my right eye . It worked. However, I would see a double image doing everything else. I was hoping to figure out a way to shoot both eyes open ( I did most of my life). I am out of ideas.

· Registered
238 Posts
I have been shooting with tape over my left lens or closing my left eye the past few years. ( right hand shooter). I have had LASIK surgery 18 years ago. Both eyes are set for distance. I do need reading glasses now. Doing everyday normal things my vision is perfect. I could read the smallest line they gave me. However, when I tilt my head slightly right and look up( looking for a target) I get a ghost image that is high and slightly right. I tried a contact in my left that was set for reading and wont focus at a distance, the double image remained. My eye doctor had me get in my shooting position to create the double image and put a lens over my right eye . It worked. However, I would see a double image doing everything else. I was hoping to figure out a way to shoot both eyes open ( I did most of my life). I am out of ideas.
Cure for shooting with One Eye Closed.
Try this one; it was a Huge help and cured my one eye problem, from my good friend and mentor. Buy a Daisy BB gun, remove the front sight, buy a large box of BB’s and start practicing shooting with both eyes open pointing/aiming at a ½ gal. plastic milk carton lying on the ground out about 15 – 20 yards. You will also need to get some foam padding to tape to the butt of the stock and comb to make it somewhat fit. They are designed for kids.
After practicing for a while, you will notice you can watch the projection of the BB. A hit will produce a noticeable thud and you can see how to adjust your point/aim.
IT WORKS!!! Very inexpensive and fun way to correct the problem. You’ll be surprised how quickly you can overcome needing to close one eye. I corrected my problem before I finished shooting a package of 2,400 count BB’s. I still have half of the container unused.
Also try this, next time you are driving look at the car in front of you, stay focused on the car and without looking away notice through your periphery vision your speedometer. You know the speedometer is there but it isn’t in sharp focus and the car is, and you are not seeing the speedometer in double.
Same with your barrel, you are concentrating/focusing on the clay, your barrel is there, it just isn’t in sharp focus. Focus on the clay only. You do this every time you drive you just don’t realize it.

· Registered
8,427 Posts
How far do you tilt your head forward? Have you tried a more heads up shooting position?

Also do you have an adjustable comb? If so maybe set it a littler further to the right.

· Registered
8,427 Posts
Try this one; it was a Huge help and cured my one eye problem, from my good friend and mentor. Buy a Daisy BB gun, remove the front sight, buy a large box of BB’s and start practicing shooting with both eyes open pointing/aiming at a ½ gal. plastic milk carton lying on the ground out about 15 – 20 yards. You will also need to get some foam padding to tape to the butt of the stock and comb to make it somewhat fit. They are designed for kids.
After practicing for a while, you will notice you can watch the projection of the BB. A hit will produce a noticeable thud and you can see how to adjust your point/aim.
IT WORKS!!! Very inexpensive and fun way to correct the problem. You’ll be surprised how quickly you can overcome needing to close one eye. I corrected my problem before I finished shooting a package of 2,400 count BB’s. I still have half of the container unused.
Also try this, next time you are driving look at the car in front of you, stay focused on the car and without looking away notice through your periphery vision your speedometer. You know the speedometer is there but it isn’t in sharp focus and the car is, and you are not seeing the speedometer in double.
Same with your barrel, you are concentrating/focusing on the clay, your barrel is there, it just isn’t in sharp focus. Focus on the clay only. You do this every time you drive you just don’t realize it.
This will cure a non shooting dominant eye problem?

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is something that started with age. I shot with two eyes my entire life until a few years ago. I shoot a Kolar Max Trap combo. I also have other shotguns that give the same results. I can look down the barrel to line up beads without issue, but when my eyes go up to soft focus for the target is where the problem starts.

· Registered
2,066 Posts
The question that immediately comes to my mind is:

Why are you tilting your head to the right?

Tilting your head to the comb means your gun isn't fitting correctly and is introducing another variable into the shooting equation. You are already having to compute direction, rise, and speed of the bird, and correlate that information with your reaction time and directing your gun to move to the point where your trigger pull will put your shot column in contact with the target. You are unconscious of the fact that while walking around, your brain is making untold numbers of spatial calculations based on your head being upright and optical input being from a horizontal plane. Now you are tilting your head (even slightly!) and your brain is having to make the corrections needed to convert from the tilted picture to a horizontal picture.

There a many ways to correct the lack of gun fit, but the easiest should be tried first. An adjustable butt pad will enable you to raise the comb and still maintain a good mount on your shoulder. If you find you are still tilting to the right, try increasing your length of pull by installing 1/4" spacers until you can make contact by moving your head forward a little without tilting. A combination of length and height should provide a comfortable heads up position that will do away with the ghost image.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Bingo!!!!! A+++++ EXACTLY!!!!

· Registered
238 Posts
This is something that started with age. I shot with two eyes my entire life until a few years ago. I shoot a Kolar Max Trap combo. I also have other shotguns that give the same results. I can look down the barrel to line up beads without issue, but when my eyes go up to soft focus for the target is where the problem starts.
Scothc827,
That’s because when you look down the barrel to line up the beads you are HARD focusing on the barrels and your eyes take a brief moment to change your focus onto the target. Forget lining up the beads. Keep BOTH eyes open and HARD focus on the target immediately keeping the barrel and front bead in a SOFT focus.

· Registered
6,252 Posts
The most common diplopia is created when we look way up or way sideways. This can be solved by, 1.) Having single vision shooting glasses, and have the Optical Center set up higher; your doctor had you get in a shooting position, this is the same position that your OC should be measured in for those shooting glasses. and 2.) Occluding the left eye ( in your case) as you have been doing, by tape/frosted lens, or shutting your eye. I've found I shoot better when I shut the left (my dominant eye) completely when checking the beads for correct mount, then open it about halfway after my line of sight has shifted to my soft focus area, which is above the beads, and proportionately to the side of it, depending on the post I'm on. As Nitro Pilot says, you are still consciously registering the beads and barrel when going to you soft focus. Try a really low hold, (front of the traphouse) then moving the soft focus up to the point where you stop doing so. (where you'll see the birds come out) You've already checked your mount, and as long as the wood stays on the wood, your subconscious will take care of the rest.
The eye will focus 'back' from farther away to a closer object faster, particularly if it is moving, than from near to far. This is why soldiers in combat develop the '1000 yard stare'.

The hardest part is giving control over to the subconscious once you've done everything else in your pre-shot routine.

Likes-to-shoot,
I don’t know about the eye dominance; it doesn’t seem to be an issue using both eyes open.
There is a concurrent thread on here about that; for most, the BB gun training does work. Not only do we use this 'method' of looking hard at one thing and noting another in the periphery driving, but most probably do it hunting too, and don't realize it.

· Premium Member
8,259 Posts

· Premium Member
8,259 Posts
Try shortening your stock length 1/4" inorder to bring placement closer to neck and directly under face.

Relax cheek pressure on comb.

Make sure you not squinting your master eye.

If I am understanding correctly, you've never had an off eye issue and this has established itself recently.

· Registered
2,248 Posts
A little off topic but important. If you ever have cataract surgery and new lenses, MAKE SURE you tell them you had Lasik. Makes a difference in the lenses they implant. Did for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.