5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Eye color statistics in the U.S.
Brown - 45%
Blue and blue-grey - 27%
Hazel - 18%
Green - 9%
Other - 1%

There is a slight difference in visual acuity comparing light and dark colored eyes. Lighter eyes, such as blue or green eyes, have less pigment in the iris, which leaves the iris more translucent and lets more light into the eye. This means that light-eyed people tend to have slightly better night vision than dark-eyed people.
However, darker eyes act like a stronger filter for light, which means that dark-eyed people tend to see better in bright sunlight and are less susceptible to glare.

Reactions: Trap Cat

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far we have 30 participants, and almost 1/2 have blue eyes.
Maybe the observation from 1919 was accurate?

·
Registered
586 Posts
So far we have 30 participants, and almost 1/2 have blue eyes.
Maybe the observation from 1919 was accurate?
Not really sure Drew but I noticed in the attached article that the government tests showed that Mexicans were the poorest shots at long range rifle due to dark brown/black eyes being a disadvantage at letting in light. Being from south Texas and having brown eyes I can assure you that the hispanic folks down here do not have a problem with scatter gun disciplines. I wouldn’t be able to throw any stones at anyone shooting 500+ yards open sights anyway, which I am assuming is how the military tested back in 1919 without optics. This was a interesting post though so thanks for putting it together.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Hazel. I am very photosensitive, and have decent night vision for my age. (57)
me too on the photosensitivity. My last comprehensive eye exam lasted longer, because the optometrist thought I was faking the light sensitivity / peripheral vision test. He kept sending in extra low light stimuli because he didn't believe I could see them, he thought I was guessing. At work, I can't watch surgery being performed because normal humans crank up the surgical lights so high (to see detail better) it hurts my eyes. When the optometrist explained what he had done and why, it all made sense to me. Good thing I don't have to pay too close attention at work.

Reactions: Big Az Al

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Simo Häyhä

Forehead Nose Hair Cheek Jaw

Carlos Hathcock

Forehead Nose Face Cheek Skin

Reactions: BMWBOB
1 - 20 of 42 Posts