Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to see a clinic that uses the "Eye Cam" as a teaching tool. My guess is that if I could really see, on film or DVD, my shots on eye cam it would produce greater understanding of what I am doing. Does anyone have and thoughts on this? Does it currently exist? If so, where are these clinics?

I have seen the Eye Cam used on DVDs and it is helpful indeed. I have also used the Winchester AA TrAAckers and they help a bit. What I wouldn't give for a round of 25 that I shot on an Eye Cam DVD

Thanks, Dusty

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
In Daro Handy's book he recommends an exercise where you pay for a practice round but don't use live ammo and just follow the target as though you were going to shoot. Try this sometime and you will get the feeling that you are in slow motion just like an Eye Cam in slow motion. The Harlan Campbell YouTube video is in regular speed and the actual shot is so fast that the sight picture at the moment of truth is subconscious. The video is two dimensional so that his rib and fiber optic bead appear solid instead of semi transparent like it would be for a two eyed shooter with both eyes open.

·
Registered
14,109 Posts
An eye cam is not conducive to accurate repeatable shooting. It is used in videos for effect, but by experienced users with multiple takes.

From what I've read it is a rather complicated system with a camera and multiple mirrors.

·
Sleep...What’s That?
419 Posts
I think it would be interesting also since I don't see the bead when I shoot. I know my eye can physically see it, but my brain totally ignores it once the clay comes into view.

When I first took up shotgun sports I was really concerned about keeping track of the bead. I always had everybody asking me where or how much I would lead the target. I don't know how or when it changed, but I just started watching the clay only. When I shoulder the gun I take a quick view of my beads for an alignment check, then relax my eyes to wide soft focus of field where I am still aware of front bead for my hold point...but bead is not in focus. After the bird appears I have no perception of the bead...it's still there...but my brain must turn it off. All I know is the clay break pretty regularly. Guess my brain just figures out lead when it sees the clay.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think it would be interesting also since I don't see the bead when I shoot. I know my eye can physically see it, but my brain totally ignores it once the clay comes into view.

When I first took up shotgun sports I was really concerned about keeping track of the bead. I always had everybody asking me where or how much I would lead the target. I don't know how or when it changed, but I just started watching the clay only. When I shoulder the gun I take a quick view of my beads for an alignment check, then relax my eyes to wide soft focus of field where I am still aware of front bead for my hold point...but bead is not in focus. After the bird appears I have no perception of the bead...it's still there...but my brain must turn it off. All I know is the clay break pretty regularly. Guess my brain just figures out lead when it sees the clay.
Do you know why you miss a bird? In front or behind, left or right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sleep...What’s That?
419 Posts
If I start getting weak hits, I don't think about lead...I just work on my mechanics more and concentrate harder on the clay and things start going my way again.

As far as missing the clay...some of the time I can tell after the shot breaks. If the clay does not break I usually try to get a quick read from the barrel...but it's not possible every time because my eyes can't refocus fast enough. I am diabetic and have some eye damage already...plus just getting a little ways over the hill...so my eyes are not that fast. I must really rely on just focusing once to the clay, instead of twice from bead to field to clay. Getting back to bead awareness is just to much for my eyes sometimes.

Reactions: mkstephen

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Leo used the eye cam in his videos and Skeet Man is correct, it is very difficult to use and shoot normally all at the same time. In Leo's situation, it became almost comical, the helmet didn't fit his big head so every time the gun went off, the eye cam would almost fall off. To remedy this, I stood behind him and held his hat in place while he shot. I'm really glad he didn't have to rely on me for ALL of his shooting! Something you don't realize is that the shooters vision is partly obstructed, thus the need for repeated shots.
You might be better off is a buddy stood behind you with a camcorder and filmed over the shoulder, as close as possible to your line of sight.
You can watch clips of Leo's video on YouTube and I have the videos for sale. If interested, contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Kiner uses a video cam on a tripod behind the shooter, you can absolutely see where each shot is relative to the target when replayed on the screen, every good and bad habit comes to light. Phil's been working with shooters so long he can see when watching where you went wrong. If I were looking for a tool to self analyze my shots and form, I would look at tripod mounted video cam. From what Phil indicated only certain model cameras will show shots in slow motion, maybe he will ring in with this info you could contact him and ask.

Surfer

·
Vendor
1,681 Posts
It is not where you miss but, why you miss.

I tell my students before we look at replays where they are going to miss. I don't predict when or who will miss but, where they will miss.

Many times when you miss where your brain thinks you were is an optical illusion and where you actually were is just the opposite.

What you need to be worrying about is what the cause of the miss actually was.

When I show replays and show them where they actually were most are very surprised.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I bought a head gear for my GoPro camera and did several shots to see how it worked. It worked great showing my gun movement pre and post shot, but the camera did not pick up the bird break. You could try that and have a friend load your gun while you were not looking and the GoPro would pick up any flinch when you fired a snap cap. Steve

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Buy a ShotKam, they work great. I used one for a few months and found out what I need to know then sold it. It attaches to the barrel (very lightweight) and you can play back the video for each shot as soon as you walk off the line on a small computer in slow motion if you please. Very easy.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I'm in the same boat as tinyL. At least I think I am? As a fairly New Trap Shooter 6 yrs., and an almost lifetime rifle shooter, I had and at times must, and still have trouble with that front bead. I shoot with booth eyes open, mount the gun, check my bead alignment,(and if it's wrong I remount the gun), then I focus about 20 or so yards out in front of the trap house,the front bead is now not visible for me, I call for the bird and my eyes follow it and bang smoke the bird.That is of course when all the rest works. When I get a hit other than one that smokes the bird. I see which way the remnants fly. If they go down and left I hit it on the top and right. If it goes down and right I hit it on the top left side, and so forth. But when I miss, well that's my big issue. I have to guess was I above, below, behind, or in front of the bird. So if someone has info on the right video camera that I can purchase, maybe I can see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks Guys....

·
Registered
944 Posts
It is not where you miss but, why you miss.

I tell my students before we look at replays where they are going to miss. I don't predict when or who will miss but, where they will miss.

Many times when you miss where your brain thinks you were is an optical illusion and where you actually were is just the opposite.

What you need to be worrying about is what the cause of the miss actually was.

When I show replays and show them where they actually were most are very surprised.

I took his clinic and he was dead on with his video what the problem was.
Monty

·
Registered
319 Posts
Buy a ShotKam, they work great. I used one for a few months and found out what I need to know then sold it. It attaches to the barrel (very lightweight) and you can play back the video for each shot as soon as you walk off the line on a small computer in slow motion if you please. Very easy.
Well, I looked at some of the ShotKam videos. In one the caption stated that the shooter missed in front. Not sure how that was determined as the shot string could not be seen. ?????

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Leo had a clinic one time where it was raining so hard (all day) that you could easily see the shot string move from gun to target, didn't need any camera that day, but I wouldn't recommend shooting in that weather!

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Well, I looked at some of the ShotKam videos. In one the caption stated that the shooter missed in front. Not sure how that was determined as the shot string could not be seen. ?????
Depends on the background and light at the time. I don't think you'll ever be able to see the string. maybe just a dark blob. But, then look at where the target is in relation to the bead and where the targets breaks. Doesn't' take much to determine where your shooting. If you can't figure that out the system is beyond your capabilities to understand.

·
Banned
958 Posts
The ShotKam can show you things but are you able to determine why you shot there and why you missed the target??

Missing in front, beneath over or behind it can have several causes that the ShotKam can,t detect.

Better get the help of an instructor that can fix you on the spot.

Qwickresponse by Bill V. Erdoss Is an efficient tool and to diagnose and fix problematic target presentations

Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts