Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth buying an extra full briley choke for my 1100 competition synthetic rather than just using the full that it came with? Can anyone tell a noticeable difference between one from the other? What should I do?
-thanks
-ithaca

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I would run the full that came with, mine just crazy tight and rolls smoke

Reactions: Ithaca900skb

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
For 16 yard trap and short handicap, your 0.35 is plenty.

I think that if you apply too much choke you may concentrate most of the shot in the core of the pattern and leave the outside of the pattern weak. I think that you would need to pattern both your full and extra full chokes with a particular load to see and difference.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMHO you are way over choked with the .035 ... especially at 16 yards. Try an Imod (.025) or a mod (.020).
I've gotta give myself a bit of a challenge! ;) LOL
Honestly, if my gun came with an Imod then I'd be using that; but a mod. just isn't my style, doesn't work for my shooting. I just want to see birds get vaporized; period! When I'm on with the full, it does just that!

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Seems to me that at 16 yd., if I concentrate really hard on the target, the choke don't matter, and when I don't concentrate really hard on the target, the choke don't matter. So you decide.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Leo used .035 for singles and .045 for handicap.
Leo was in a class all by himself.

I had the pleasure and privilege to have a couple of clinics with Leo. He was a proponent of the full choke, as we are all aware. The last clinic I had, I was shooting my modified choke at 16 yards and I specifically asked him what he thought of the way my choke tube was hitting the targets, I can't quote him, but he indicated that he liked how it was working.

I just want to see birds get vaporized; period! When I'm on with the full, it does just that!
If you ever get over to the Woodstock area or I get to the Niagara region I'll show you how the well a good modified choke works (LOL). I don't get a lot of smoke, but the target vanishes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Leo was in a class all by himself.

I had the pleasure and privilege to have a couple of clinics with Leo. He was a proponent of the full choke, as we are all aware. The last clinic I had, I was shooting my modified choke at 16 yards and I specifically asked him what he thought of the way my choke tube was hitting the targets, I can't quote him, but he indicated that he liked how it was working.

If you ever get over to the Woodstock area or I get to the Niagara region I'll show you how the well a good modified choke works (LOL). I don't get a lot of smoke, but the target vanishes.
Ithaca 900 I live in Ontario my self. Had the same problem with Briley Went and got a Carlson Choke from Als Corner Store in Arnprior, Phoned Monday had it by Tuesday. Cheers rrp

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Caveat: I am not a trap shooter, but a sporting shooter that occasionally shoots pigeons and ZZ's. That said, I've played with chokes a lot to try and understand them better. I got the 40 for practice, and then thought it'd be useful for flyers and ZZ's in the wind. In my K80, there isn't much difference in my ExTi .035 and .040 at 40 yards, about 2 to 3 inches total pattern diameter --- but those few inches help fill the hole(s) left in the 35 pattern at that range. And then they tend to allow you to "read breaks" on closer targets, where if you're off to one side a bit, you may literally shear the clay in half. (Flame-suit donned...) I have yet to feel the need for the 40 in ZZ's, but if I were a bunker shooter, I suspect I'd be using it more often...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ithaca 900 I live in Ontario my self. Had the same problem with Briley Went and got a Carlson Choke from Als Corner Store in Arnprior, Phoned Monday had it by Tuesday. Cheers rrp
Carlson makes pro bore chokes for Remington's?
-ithaca

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
Pattern and shoot your factory chokes first befor purchasing anything. I feel that time well spent at the pattern board will be beneficial,take a good look at how far out of the house you consistently break targets from the 16 yard line.If you can and it is ok at your local club flag out a trap using a range finder at distances of 5 yards at a time moving out from the house up to say 20 yards and evaluate where you are consistently breaking targets.I feel that your .035 will be plenty and you could back it off to at .030 and be just fine. Shoot Well George

1 - 20 of 25 Posts