Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
545 Posts
My shooting partner just had this done 2-3 months ago and is really pissed with the results.He sees shadows at a distance.Wish he had just gone with basic repair.Now they are recommending glasses.Suggest you get more opinions.

· Registered
873 Posts
I had the Toric lens implanted. I had a slight stigma that would allow me to be a candidate. I paid the extra money and had a successful procedure. I have very good eyesight from 20 inches out. I cannot read without reading glasses.
So, I would have been richer and not have halos and starburst enhanced lights during the night, if I had opted for the standard fixed lens.
If you have no stigma, you might have better luck with the near focus issue.
You will get to keep the halos and starburst on lights during the night.
Floaters are a by product of lens replacement regardless.
I have adjusted to the night light issue, somewhat. I carry reading glasses.
Get the fixed lens, carry reading glasses and have no night light issues.

· Registered
3,357 Posts
I had the regular lens replacement done and am satisfied. 20/25 in left eye, 20/20 in the right. Still need readers. I haven't talked to anyone yet who's been happy with the extended focus lenses. Had to have the floater procedure done and while unpleasant it worked great. I learned not to look up surgical procedures on youtube before you have them done! Lol.

· Registered
8,427 Posts
I had the regular lens replacement done and am satisfied. 20/25 in left eye, 20/20 in the right. Still need readers. I haven't talked to anyone yet who's been happy with the extended focus lenses. Had to have the floater procedure done and while unpleasant it worked great. I learned not to look up surgical procedures on youtube before you have them done! Lol.
Being one-eyed my optometrist recommended that I wait till the last minute before cataract surgery and highly recommended against the extended focus even for those with both eyes. The way I understood cataract replacement is you will need cheaters because your eyes doesn't focus as much as they used to.

Then I ended up with a vitrectomy to clear the floaters. I never knew the world could be so clear and bright.

I too learned not to look up surgical procedures on youtube. There is a great advantage of being asleep while this is going on.

I need a new excuse for missing targets now.

· Registered
4,775 Posts
So I am going to have this done and I am thinking extended focus premium lens. Has anyone chosen that and your thoughts on how it affects shooting ?

Gene
Gene, as far as shooting goes the only plus is you will be able to see the beads clearly. Other than that there is no advantage and possibly disadvantages. I had a Symfony lens implanted in my right eye 3 or 4 years ago and regret it to this day. When time comes to do my left eye I will get a mono-focal lens. These are some of the advantages? and disadvantages of toric (multi-focal) lenses. Also read the comments!

Whatever brand of lenses you are considering, research them. Medicare will pay for mono-focal lenses. Anything above that comes out of your pocket and it's your doctors hand reaching in.

· Registered
1,323 Posts
I just had both eyes done. I thought the progressive lens were for me and I did lots of research and decided to go with the plain old lenses. It was the right choice for me!!! I have worn glasses for 28 years and they are gone! I don't even need readers............My doctor is amazed that I can read and see as well I can. No floaters, No problems of any kind, and the recovery time was extremely short. My shooting ain't to good anyway but I can see targets much quicker and and the colors are vivid!! The only issue that I have had ( if it's an issue) is that I am much more light sensitive and have to wear sunglasses on brighter days. I am very happy with my results. Make certain that you have the very best Doctor in your area!

· Registered
416 Posts
I am a one eyed shooter and wear contact lenses that are monovision (lens in left eye for reading and right lens for distance). The brain compensates for the two different lenses and you come up with a good compromise for reading and distance. Over the last year I requested a more powerful distance lens that I only put in when I am shooting. It has worked out very well as the target is clearer/sharper.

· Registered
611 Posts
Being one-eyed my optometrist recommended that I wait till the last minute before cataract surgery and highly recommended against the extended focus even for those with both eyes. The way I understood cataract replacement is you will need cheaters because your eyes doesn't focus as much as they used to.

Then I ended up with a vitrectomy to clear the floaters. I never knew the world could be so clear and bright.

I too learned not to look up surgical procedures on youtube. There is a great advantage of being asleep while this is going on.

I need a new excuse for missing targets now.
Tell me how the vitrectomy went. I have VMT in both eyes.

· Premium Member
Brownings
1,217 Posts
I am a one eyed shooter and wear contact lenses that are monovision (lens in left eye for reading and right lens for distance). The brain compensates for the two different lenses and you come up with a good compromise for reading and distance. Over the last year I requested a more powerful distance lens that I only put in when I am shooting. It has worked out very well as the target is clearer/sharper.
How do you use the distance lens? Put it in what? Is it a contact lens?

· Registered
3,902 Posts
Gene, as far as shooting goes the only plus is you will be able to see the beads clearly. Other than that there is no advantage and possibly disadvantages. I had a Symfony lens implanted in my right eye 3 or 4 years ago and regret it to this day. When time comes to do my left eye I will get a mono-focal lens. These are some of the advantages? and disadvantages of toric (multi-focal) lenses. Also read the comments!

Whatever brand of lenses you are considering, research them. Medicare will pay for mono-focal lenses. Anything above that comes out of your pocket and it's your doctors hand reaching in.
I believe your assumption is wrong. The procedure (doctor's fee) should pay the same. The upgraded lens cost more, that's not extra profit for the ophthalmologist.

· Premium Member
624 Posts
I have had cataract surgery and I still have to wear glasses. Both up close and distance. Not always are the lenses able to correct vision perfectly. I am corrected to 20/20 but have a lot of trouble in contrasting light. I follow the target until I loose sight and try to keep swinging and pull the trigger.

· Registered
114 Posts
After doing a lot of research I had Crystalens Lens implanted. This lens has some focus ability, but does not create any halos as do the Toric lenses. I now have 20/20 in both eyes and can read without glasses if the light is bright. I am an accountant and when I work I use 1.25 readers. I would consider the Crystalens lenses. I highly recommend them.

· Registered
4,775 Posts
I believe your assumption is wrong. The procedure (doctor's fee) should pay the same. The upgraded lens cost more, that's not extra profit for the ophthalmologist.
It is not an assumption. I know what I paid for the one lens, and it sure as hell should not have cost $2700 for an upgraded lens. My ophthalmologist accepts what Medicare pays for the procedure with a mono-focal lens.

· Registered
36,813 Posts
I have a question, looking at such a lens, would appear farthest focus point in direct center. Unless a person can shoot straight heads up, would appear outer steps of the lens would be seen though like bifocal lens.......wouldn’t it?

Even though I try to shoot heads up, I am looking through the top and to the inside of my shooting glasses.

Or am I getting it backwards? Some illustrations show the center focus for near objects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.