Trapshooters Forum banner

Extended chokes

2950 23
I am a relative newbie to the sport, but I am curious as to why some shooters use an extended choke. What are their advantages/disadvantages?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
13,498 Posts
I'll add the extra length can give your barrel some added bling!!! Gold bands or other colored rings add a nice look. Or even a nice shiny chrome choke on the end of a blued barrel if you prefer. The only other real advantage IMO, is its easier to read the choke you have installed at any time without having to remove the choke, or remember what the notch pattern is for the shotgun your shooting that day. Everyone always forgets the notch pattern IMO. To a skeet or trap shooter, this may not be a huge benefit. But for a sporting clay shooters. Who may want/need to change chokes several times per event? Its a real nice benefit!!!

PS I also agree with the poster above. They do help protect the end of barrel as well. break em all jeff

· Premium Member
1,268 Posts
If you rest your barrel on a leather or rubber pad between shots, it just makes sense to use extended chokes. It will protect your shotgun barrel. Just make sure to get steel extended chokes if your pad has a magnet. Titanium or aluminum chokes aren't magnetic.

· Registered
251 Posts
Some pros and cons of extended choke tubes include:

1) extended tubes are usually easier/faster to change (usually no wrench needed),

2) most extended tubes have the choke/constriction printed on the exposed portion (visible when installed) while some flush tubes don’t have notches to indicate choke constrictions when installed,

3) extended tubes provide muzzle protection from possible muzzle damage (dint) that could make choke removal or instillation difficult,

4) extended tubes provide additional length which allows for the possibility of different choke geometry and design (ramp angle and length, choke angle and length, parallel section length, porting and endless marketing gimmicks) which may or may not provide improved performance,

5) extended tubes usually weigh more than flush tubes which may or may not be a good thing for your gun’s balance,

6) some shooters think the extended tubes look cool and some like the traditional uncluttered look of flush tubes, and

7) extended tubes are generally more expensive (the choke makers like that).

None of this means extended choke tubes work/perform "better" (whatever that means) than flush chokes. It really depends on the kind of performance you need/want from your chokes and loads for your type of hunting/shooting. However, if you aren't going to take the time to pattern them properly (with the ammo you use) to find out how they really perform then it doesn't really matter, just use what you like.

Good luck!

· Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Avoid the extended ported chokes. They are more co$tly and dirty with no performance advantage.
Totally agree. I had 2 extended ported chokes tubes on my O/U barrel. What a mess after shooting a round of doubles. I eventually went to just the top barrel with an extended ported choke and a flush choke for the lower barrel.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Avoid the extended ported chokes. They are more co$tly and dirty with no performance advantage.
Not so fast. Here is a post from Neil.

…………….,,…..,.,………

The long ported ones shoot a bit tighter than the more conventional ones. For cylinder, that's a disadvantage since you want a wide pattern so keep away from them if you want to shoot skeet. For 27 yards it's an advantage because you want the tightest choke money or technology can buy and they supply it. Between those extremes they are all about the same. Carlsons shoot very well and people here say their price is right. They also radiate care and quality and I think that look is representative of the product.

If you think turkey chokes are what you need, get Trulock. They are the only ones which aren't worse for trapshooting.

Neil”

From;

· Keystone Shooter
2,681 Posts
I prefer the flush factory chokes. They seem to pattern better than the extended chokes, for me.
My opinion on extended chokes:

Extended chokes do protect the end of the barrel
Do look nice. Add a little bling
Easier to change
Does make it difficult to fit your shotgun into a soft case
But for me that inch or two extension on the end of my barrels doesn’t do a thing for me or my shooting.
personal choice I guess. I prefer Carlson’s my son uses the old Hastings Chokes. Loves them.
Check your patterns with different chokes on paper. Not all chokes are what say they are on the side of the choke.
Good luck
Chief

· Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Not so fast. Here is a post from Neil.

…………….,,…..,.,………

The long ported ones shoot a bit tighter than the more conventional ones. For cylinder, that's a disadvantage since you want a wide pattern so keep away from them if you want to shoot skeet. For 27 yards it's an advantage because you want the tightest choke money or technology can buy and they supply it. Between those extremes they are all about the same. Carlsons shoot very well and people here say their price is right. They also radiate care and quality and I think that look is representative of the product.

If you think turkey chokes are what you need, get Trulock. They are the only ones which aren't worse for trapshooting.

Neil”

From;
Good post, especially since Neil's exhaustive work is always admired and respected!
If you can put up with the expense and dirt for a tighter choke on the back fence, go for ported. (y)

· Administrator
9,666 Posts
Good post, especially since Neil's exhaustive work is always admired and respected!
If you can put up with the expense and dirt for a tighter choke on the back fence, go for ported. (y)
Some of the best pattern performance I ever had was with a older Kolar trap combo and Pure Gold Extended Ported chokes. That particular combination worked really well, I wish I some pics of the patterns I shot with that set up.

· Registered
796 Posts
Some pros and cons of extended choke tubes include:

1) extended tubes are usually easier/faster to change (usually no wrench needed),

Be aware that Briley thinwall chokes or any other makes machined for Briley thinwall threads do require the use of a wrench to snug up the chokes.
I have witnessed two barrels ruptured because the owners thought hand tight was good enough.

CT

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I prefer the flush factory chokes. They seem to pattern better than the extended chokes, for me.
My opinion on extended chokes:

Extended chokes do protect the end of the barrel
Do look nice. Add a little bling
Easier to change
Does make it difficult to fit your shotgun into a soft case
But for me that inch or two extension on the end of my barrels doesn’t do a thing for me or my shooting.
personal choice I guess. I prefer Carlson’s my son uses the old Hastings Chokes. Loves them.
Check your patterns with different chokes on paper. Not all chokes are what say they are on the side of the choke.
Good luck
Chief
Especially like the statement, "Not all chokes are what they say they are on ....." The late Don Zutz wrote a bit about that with the conclusion that each choke can be something different than what it purportedly is supposed to be. A good thing to remember and a good reason to put a new one on paper.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.