Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the overall difference when shooting ported tubes as compared to unported tubes? Is there a difference?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Jackmac I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread.

I would also like to know what the difference is between the chaokes that extend past the barrel end and the ones that are flush with the barrel.

Corey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the only advantage of extended tubes are, they are easily identified, and quick to change (no wrenches needed) I just don't know if they improve shot patterns by so called stripping the shot cup?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jackmac, I have owned a couple of guns with ported barrels and now I own a K-80 with unported barrels. I cannot notice any difference. Save your money.

Corey, I really can say that I prefer the patterns my Briley chokes give in lieu of my standard Krieghoff chokes, but it is a personal choice. The other reason I choose extended chokes is I rest my barrel on my toe, therefore, if I have a mishap and it slips off of my toe and grinds on the concrete I only have to pay to replace my choke tube not a 4K barrel. Hope this helps.

Cory

·
Registered
319 Posts
The theory behind extended choke tubes is that the restriction is spread out over a longer area than with a flush mount. Example: going from bore diameter to say a modified choke at .020 restriction, the angle of the inside of the choke will be less on a choke tube that is 3 inches long and extends out of the barrel, than a flush mount tube that is only 1 1/2 inches long. In other words the tightening of the column, within which the payload of shot travels through, will be spread out over a further distance making the change more gradual. This is said to provide less shot deformation and provide a better overall pattern.

To address the question of porting and it's benefits, I have seen no difference in patterns on a patterning board or distance that the wad travels, from a ported vs. non-ported barrel.

To add to this discussion, I have also tried 8 fingered wads and numerous different 4 fingered wads, and on my range all the wads travel roughly the same difference, with some of the 4 fingered wads falling closer to the trap house than the 8 fingered wads. Due to this discovery and the fact that 4 fingered wads seem much easier to load, I have switched over exclusively to 4 fingered wads.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Mr. Mark

·
Registered
355 Posts
Gotta go with Big Tuna here-bought a set of ported Briley's for my Ultra sporter, never again. Hard to clean, LOUD, and no recoil reduction I could feel. Not a knock on Briley as I believe any brand would be the same.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The ones I have were made to order and are ported. The only thing I can see different is the wad does come off the shot a little quicker, The wad drops about 6-7 yards before the un-ported tubes I have.

In trap I am not sure if that 6 or 7 yards are that important but cleaning is no big thing. I just clean the barrel with the tube in it and they both clean up fine.

Wast of money ?? Mine cost no more either way ported or not.

Rock

Jim

M

·
0 Posts
<blockquote>"Wast of money ?? Mine cost no more either way ported or not."</blockquote>

Speaking of money and choke tubes...Angle Port (Ballistic Specialties) has their choke tubes on sale right now...$25 each or 5 for $100...either ported or plain, extended or flush. Normally $60+ each.

Mike

E

·
0 Posts
I prefer unported tubes to ported. After stating this, all I use are Comp-N-Choke tubes. They don't, and won't, make a unported tube. The slots that are in their tubes are there to strip the wad away from the shot. As far as performance, Comp-N-Choke has them all beat hands down in the guns that I shoot. The downside for this performance is the cleaning that these tubes need on a regular basis. Just a little food for thought.

ec90t

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.