Exploring Trap Shooting Locations (Huntsville AL) | Trap Shooters Forum

Exploring Trap Shooting Locations (Huntsville AL)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. D, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

I was a new shooter (3 years active) when I lived in Jacksonville FL than relocated to Huntsville AL in 2011. I was hooked on Trap Shooting and had planned to continue the sport but found my options few and far between in this part of the country so I quit shooting.

Fast forward 10 years and I’m looking to pick the sport back up. So today I visited 2 of the 4 Trap Shooting locations and it reinforced why I quit shooting 10 years ago.

1) Big Sky Skeet and Trap Club
    2) Limestone Hunting Preserve & Sporting Clays
    3) Madison County Shooting Sports Association (MCSSA)
    4) Redstone Arsenal MWR

Big Sky Skeet and Trap Club
    3 Skeet / 3 Trap
    This place has been inactive for 10 plus years, once was very active in the 70-80s. Now it’s very run down and in need of a major overhaul.

Limestone Hunting Preserve & Sporting Clays
    2 Skeet / 2 Trap / 42 Sporting Clay Stations
    Visited this place today, the 2 Trap ranges are inoperable due to trap house flooding a few years ago and lack of anyone interested in shooting Trap in the area. Had a nice talk with the owner and tool me on a golf cart tour of the place. Each Clay Station target is $0.50 EA for non-members and membership is $500 and you a pre-loaded card with 1,000 targets. I’m not into sporting Clays so this place doesn’t work for me. This place too was very old and dates back to the 70-80s but a great place for someone into Sporting Clays.

Madison County Shooting Sports Association (MCSSA)
    3 Skeet / 3 Trap
    Visited this place today, it also is very old and dates back to the 70-80s and is a weekend only county run kind of place. Members can use it during the week but only if two people are present. Trap field #1 has an old Western machine manual pull that is finicky and you need to fiddle (his words not mine) with it during rounds. Trap field #2 has an old Western machine and is inactive, Skeet only. Trap field #3 has a newer Promatic machine with voice release gizmo (press button than call for target). Trap cost is $3.00 for members and $6.00 for non-members, membership is $180 year plus 3 work days. Range Master said for every one Trap Shooter there is about 15-20 Skeet Shooters. This means show up on Saturday shoot a single round of Trap than come off and let the Sheet guys on and get back in line for your turn at Trap. I could see myself out there most of the day trying to shoot 100 targets. Wasn’t too impressed with this place.

Redstone Arsenal MWR
    1 Skeet / 1 Trap / 5 Stand
    Didn’t visit Redstone as I thought they were closed for COVID, they are open and I plan to visit tomorrow. I shot here a couple times in 2012 but the Trap range was REALLY old and run down as it was built back in the 60s. MWR ripped all this out a few years ago and rebuilt a new Skeet / Trap / 5 Stand place that opened on 29 April than shut down due to COVID but has now reopened. The old range was a separate Sheet and Trap field, not sure what the new setup is all about. The MWR guy I talked to said the Trap range also had a voice release gizmo so you could shoot alone. Cost is $5.00 round and they are open 7 days a week. I asked if the Trap field was very active and he said it wasn’t.

My take away in all this today was that there is little to no interest in Trap Shooting in this part of the country. Given my current address I think Redstone Arsenal MWR is going to be my best option for shooting. Tomorrow I will figure out what the voice release gizmo is all about and if they kept the Skeet and Trap range separate.

Trap Shooting shouldn’t be this hard. :)

Dennis

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. tanda1

tanda1 Well-Known Member

Bummer. That sucks.

When in Rome....

Or move north.

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I think Muscle shoals still has a club that is shooting. At least they did last I Heard.

4. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Went to Redstone Arsenal MWR today to check out the new Sheet / Trap field. Other than the grass (weeds) needing mowing it's everything you would expect in a new field. Very well built and marked off for yardage (all regulation). The voice release system is by Long Range and it has a brand new Pat Trap so what more could you ask for. It's all kind of self service / honor system in that you check in and get the voice release than head out to the Trap field and open up the house and load the Pat Trap if required, power on go shot than close everything up turn in the voice release and pay for what you shot.

The MWR guy said only a few times they had both Skeet and Trap guys stacked up on top of each other. Should work out for me so this is a good thing.

Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

5. blackandgold

blackandgold Well-Known Member

Either the Long-range Voice release or Clay Delay Autopuller have worked well for me when I've needed to shoot solo.

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Couple of years ago I was going to spend a couple of weeks in Alabama and once I researched and found the lack of clay target sports, we made other plans.

7. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Well-Known Member

They fish in Northern Alabama.

Move to Pennsylvania or Ohio.

8. Battle37

Battle37 Active Member

Muscle Shoals in Muscle Shoals
    Magic City in Pinson
    Southern Skeet and Trap in Birmingham
    Dixie Trap, Skeet, SC in Montgomery

vatrap thanked this.
  9. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

I'm afraid of heights and would get nose bleeds way up there.

10. Township Chief

Township Chief Keystone Shooter TS Supporters

Here in south west Pennsylvania, I can shoot a dozen or more clubs around me within 20 minutes drive time, seven days a week. Average cost per round $4. Even my small one trap Range looks better than that new place. What does it take to cut the grass, and groom the walkways.

Attached Files:

11. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

All of those like nice places, downside they are 1.5 to 4 hr drive one way so only good for an occasional weekend trip. I will have to check out Southern Skeet and Trap in Birmingham some weekend.

12. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

My thoughts too, I will give them a pass for today anyway as the base up until recently had been shut down due to COVID. Next time I go there I'm grabbing my weed eater and if the grass has not been cut I will at least whack down the weeds around the walkways.

Is that picture your private at home trap range? I need one of those, speaking of home trap fields how much land does one need to do this?

13. Township Chief

No that’s a picture of my small one trap club trap range. We keep it looking great. I am the trap committee chairman.

Attached Files:

14. Township Chief

We have a 54” lawn tractor, craftsman, and a weed whacker to edge the walkways. Once a week. We have our own little trap club house, away from the regular club house, with a covered porch and patio with picnic tables to put your gear on. I’m proud of my little one trap club. We have a group of dedicated guys.

Attached Files:

15. vatrap

vatrap Well-Known Member

A very good trapshooter and former USA team shooter, he's retired FBI and lives close to the base, PM me if you want his contact info.