Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On several posts people talked about "Kreighofs blowing up" Can you give me some background this

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
People do stupid things like not using a tested recipe when reloading and blow up all kinds of shotguns. People will also shoot while not making sure the barrel is free of obstructions. I don't think any one brand does it more than others, as I have seen several pictures of them posted here over the years.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I've never seen "Kreighoff"s " , but I have seen a few Guns going to there final destination ,aka grave and/or junk pile . Like in post # 2 ,people do very stupid things > reloading with the wrong coponents ,loose screw in chokes ,just to name a few.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
People do stupid things like not using a tested recipe when reloading and blow up all kinds of shotguns. People will also shoot while not making sure the barrel is free of obstructions. I don't think any one brand does it more than others, as I have seen several pictures of them posted here over the years.
What's an example of an untested load that would blow up a modern shotgun, with an unobstructed barrel?

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
Only anecdotally, but there have been comments that a re-loading machine threw a double charge of powder into a shell - that would be one source...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Only anecdotally, but there have been comments that a re-loading machine threw a double charge of powder into a shell - that would be one source...
Yes, anecdotally. Try putting a double charge in, and crimp the hull without noticing all they way through the process of actually loading the shell in a gun. Modern barrels can handle a lot of pressure. I believe there is only two ways a barrel will fail, bad steel or an obstruction.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The only one I saw first hand was S.S. with screw in chokes and I would say the choke was loose wad and shot got under it and blew about six inches of the left side of the barrel out,good thing that she just walked to station one no one got hurt but her bank account as she had to buy a new barrel.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Krieghoffs have a built in timer. After so many rounds, they just let go. Most of the old timers know when it’s getting close, and trade it off before it happens. This way Krieghoff is able to sell new ones. Other manufacturers have tried to copy this design, but have had spotty results.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
Drew,

Those are some nasty looking guns...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
There is more than the barrel obstruction route to catastrophic gun failure.
Escaping gas from a case head failure will also totally destroy a gun.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
And then you have the classic tuning fork ruptures when owners install a scope and use a laser pointer that fits in the front of the bore. 760 game master 243 Win. Nobody hurt, new barrel to repair. Don’t forget to remove your laser device.
26536F47-A898-4A6F-BA4D-2EF7CF7E6D83.jpeg

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
So Tron,

How do you explain when an unobstructed gun blows with factory ammo?

·
Supporting Vendor
10,127 Posts
Depends. If it's a gun that you bought new, then detonation is the only thing that makes sense to me. If it's a used gun, who knows what the guy before you was running through it and all bets would be off. Also, don't you find it a bit odd that K guns all blow up the same way? The right side of the receiver, forward?

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
I suspect - I have no scientific data to back this up - that the K-gun issue is one of poor soldering/brazing.

There was a post here with a video of the barrels of a K-gun that were actually loose in the monobloc. The gun had been cleaned and was still soaked with solvent. By applying various pressure to the barrel - monobloc unit the owner was able to squeeze air bubbles out from between the barrel sleeve that runs through the monoblooc and the block itself. Not good.

Again, supposition not fact, but it looks like all the barrel - monobloc units are soldered/brazed in the same way and that the right side is prone to be a bit light on the filler metal.

Food for thought.

·
Thorn in your side
8,114 Posts
Krieghoffs have a built in timer. After so many rounds, they just let go. Most of the old timers know when it’s getting close, and trade it off before it happens. This way Krieghoff is able to sell new ones. Other manufacturers have tried to copy this design, but have had spotty results.

CRAP, CRAP,CRAP...what is a guy to do that buys one used and doesn't know the round count prior to ownership? I am NOT asking for a friend.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
You will never have a problem if you use factory ammo. If you insist on making reloads with powder designed for use in a .410, then your K gun may blow apart, exactly like in the picture .
I would almost totally agree with you but ,I have known of a couple of guns let go shooting factory. One was a BT-99 in Okla. back in 1969. I was there to see that one. It blew out just forward of the breech. Nobody hurt but it scared the heck out of us. Not sure what happened but they were some old factory shells. Another was a friend of mine in LA. who's 20 ga 1100 skeet gun went using factory Remington skeet loads. Plenty of witnesses and in the end Remington had him send the gun and ship them the remaining shells. When it was all over he signed an agreement that he would forfeit any and all claims and they gave him a brand new 3200 4barrel set. Case closed and he was satisfied.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts